Whale Sharks 2020

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Whale shark sitting have declined over the years in Placencia. And even with regulations in place to limit divers in Gladden Split and more fees. If you want to see Whale Sharks it's not a to go place anymore. I used to go every year in April for 7-8 years, I never been zeroed out for the whole trip but I stopped going there.
Like everywhere in the world, the diving there is not getting better.
If you want to see Whale Sharks:
- Cozumel season is June to September
- La Paz
-Oslob Philippines all year around - snorkelling - 100%
- Ningaloo Reef - Western Australia - spring
And is you have a budget for a LOB - Galapagos, Cocos, Socorro in October November

What about Cenderawasih, Indonesia? Aren't they guaranteed there as well?

Yes Cenderwasi, whale sharks next to the fishing platforms. The rest of the diving there is so so.

I loved Placencia, it is a great little spot. And I like other diving there other then whale sharks at Gladden Split.
But like other places, they get busier and it's not the same anymore.

Whale shark sitting have declined over the years in Placencia. And even with regulations in place to limit divers in Gladden Split and more fees. If you want to see Whale Sharks it's not a to go place anymore. I used to go every year in April for 7-8 years, I never been zeroed out for the whole trip but I stopped going there.
Like everywhere in the world, the diving there is not getting better.
If you want to see Whale Sharks:
- Cozumel season is June to September
- La Paz
-Oslob Philippines all year around - snorkelling - 100%
- Ningaloo Reef - Western Australia - spring
And is you have a budget for a LOB - Galapagos, Cocos, Socorro in October November

Interesting they're still being seen regularly in Cozumel.
Perhaps they are passing by Belize now due to lack of food/ massive snapper spawns.
Illegal fishing and gill netting is a problem in Belize. Enforcement of the law is lacking. The Elbow of Turneffe was supposedly protected but when the cuberas are spawning there on the moons of July, Aug and Sept, we would see multiple boats hook and line fishing in the daytime. What goes on at night? A gill net would take a lot if fish.
I have friend who owns a resort at Glovers. He told me he was fishing one evening and a boatload of Hondurans came up to him, cussing and telling him to get out of their spot.
It would help if World Heritage or some group could help fund protection of Belize's treasure.

From my 2019 experience, Belize is the last place I'd go to see whale sharks. IMO you'ld do as well flushing the money down the toilet.
Sooo....you'd flush the money down the toilet, rather than travel to Belize and dive.....but not see whale sharks.
You're not really into diving, no true?
Maybe try mountain hiking, or tennis?

"no true", lol

Is that your Belizean accent showing? Love it

Sooo....you'd flush the money down the toilet, rather than travel to Belize and dive.....but not see whale sharks.
You're not really into diving, no true?
Maybe try mountain hiking, or tennis?

Found the diving from Placencia to be far less than stellar, certainly not enought marine life and the visibility too poor to justify getting hammered by high waves on the long ride out, and when exiting and entering the small boats used. Here's some examples of what diving from those boats did to me.

upload_2019-12-18_10-28-9.png
upload_2019-12-18_10-28-26.png

upload_2019-12-18_10-28-46.png
upload_2019-12-18_10-28-59.png

Most of the marine life was at the place that fishermen dump guts after cleaning their catch - and most of that was nurse sharks. Big whoop. Elsewhere it was scarce and small/immature. And I don't think it was because of the dive op since the one I dove with has a solid (though undeserved IMO) reputation.

There are way too many dive venues with much easier diving, way better visibility, and orders of magnitude more and better marine life. Maybe you haven't been to any of these. Maybe I'm spoiled by having dove these venues first. But the sites I saw off Placencia were very similar to those off Roatan - overfished and devoid of large, mature, diverse marine life. Though I have to say Roatan has orders of magnitude better coral, soft coral and bryozoans than where I was taken from Placencia.

So no, I don't want to throw money away going to venues that aren't full of marine life. It costs too much, it takes too much time and effort, and I have too little time left to waste it on places that aren't top notch.

===> Ignore.

Found the diving from Placencia to be far less than stellar, certainly not enought marine life and the visibility too poor to justify getting hammered by high waves on the long ride out, and when exiting and entering the small boats used. Here's some examples of what diving from those boats did to me.

View attachment 556042View attachment 556043
View attachment 556044View attachment 556045

Most of the marine life was at the place that fishermen dump guts after cleaning their catch - and most of that was nurse sharks. Big whoop. Elsewhere it was scarce and small/immature. And I don't think it was because of the dive op since the one I dove with has a solid (though undeserved IMO) reputation.

There are way too many dive venues with much easier diving, way better visibility, and orders of magnitude more and better marine life. Maybe you haven't been to any of these. Maybe I'm spoiled by having dove these venues first. But the sites I saw off Placencia were very similar to those off Roatan - overfished and devoid of large, mature, diverse marine life. Though I have to say Roatan has orders of magnitude better coral, soft coral and bryozoans than where I was taken from Placencia.

So no, I don't want to throw money away going to venues that aren't full of marine life. It costs too much, it takes too much time and effort, and I have too little time left to waste it on places that aren't top notch.

===> Ignore.
Wow. Serious bruises. I have only dived Philippines, Malaysia, a bit of Indonesia and Belize. Sipadan and Tubbataha (3 trips) were among the best but Gladden Spit ranks right up there. Somedays you get lucky. Some days your butt gets kicked. Good luck on your next trip.

Boats used by Splash for whale sharks are not small. Visibility is very good. I have done so many dives here without getting bruises.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom