Whale shark dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jweak2

Reaction score
Has anyone been on the whale shark dives out of Placencia? We have one new diver in our group who is trying to decide if she should do this dive. Does anyone know the depth of this dive? We heard about 80 feet- is that 80 feet from floor to surface or 80 feet limit for this dive? If you've been, did you happen to see any whale sharks? What did you think?

We do whale shark dives every year from Thatch Caye (Thatch Caye Resort - A Handmade Resort off the coast of Belize) and if you go right after the full moons of April, May, and June, for up to six days in a row you will be likely to see them. The dives are on a gradually sloping shelf and with good buoyancy control, you can hover at around sixty feet and definitely see the whale sharks. Many times they come up to the surface and snorkellers can also see them, although it is a little rough up at the surface most of the time. The bad part for all divers, beginners or otherwise, is that there are frequently rough sea conditions at the spot where the whale sharks are, so you have to be prepared for getting in and out of the boat in less than ideal conditions.

Splash Dive Shop has been doing whale shark dives out of Placencia for about 10 years. You can check them out at Belize by Splash Dive Shop located on the Placencia peninsula in southern Belize. You can get the date ranges from this website and note that whale shark season starts in March. The dives are not along the slope but in blue water and maximum allowed depth is 80 feet (Whale shark commitee rules). There are additional rules and regulations that are enforced by rangers. Sometimes surface conditions are rough but have been good for most of the trips I have been on (about a dozen whale shark dives).
Your new diver should have done about 25 dives if not certified as advanced. New diver could be checked out by Splash who could do the advanced certification or provide some experience dives.

In Placencia there is also Seahorse, who are acknowledged experts and have been doing these trips for many years. And the new players on the block, Avadon, who have been doing a seriously good job despite some local efforts to put them out of business.

But the trip from Thatch Caye is easier and more pleasant than the trip from Placencia, and they would be my choice if I didn't already have accommodation in Placencia.

We are traveling to Belize in April. We are staying at Ambergris Caye. How far is the travel from that area to an area where there is legitimate whale shark viewing? From what I could find online, the whale sharks are not very close but I can't find too much specific info about it versus where we will be staying. We are going to be there for the whole week after a full moon, as mentioned above. This is a once in a lifetime trip to Belize so I am willing to do whatever I can to try to get to an area with whale sharks. Sorry to jack the post, I figured it was fairly relevant. Thanks for the help.

No, you need to be in southern Belize. Anywhere in the Dangriga-Placencia area. Only certain licenced boats are allowed to enter the prime whale shark viewing area, and they also have time slots. Unless you're staying somewhere near where the boat leaves from you won't make it. To get from Ambergris Caye to Placencia will take a good half day or longer.

If you only have a week, and assuming it's over the full moon, then change your destination and make it one of the ones above. Another good option would be Hopkins (where you'll find Hamanasi Resort). Otherwise expect to be away from your (paid for) Ambergris Caye accommodation for three or four days - a day each way, plus one or two days out (attempting to) view.

Thanks for the info. I was afraid this was going to be the answer. I was looking at a map today and kinda figured that we were going to be on the wrong side of the country. Oh well. There is no possibility of changing locations as only part of the group dives. Thanks anyway.

No, you need to be in southern Belize. Anywhere in the Dangriga-Placencia area. Only certain licenced boats are allowed to enter the prime whale shark viewing area, and they also have time slots. Unless you're staying somewhere near where the boat leaves from you won't make it. To get from Ambergris Caye to Placencia will take a good half day or longer.

If you only have a week, and assuming it's over the full moon, then change your destination and make it one of the ones above. Another good option would be Hopkins (where you'll find Hamanasi Resort). Otherwise expect to be away from your (paid for) Ambergris Caye accommodation for three or four days - a day each way, plus one or two days out (attempting to) view.

Is it still a half day trip if you fly from Ambergris Caye to Placencia? Someone told us that we could catch a flight from AC to Placencia and then take the dive boat out to the site. is this too much to do in one day?

How are the dive spots if the sharks are not showing up?

I believe (I haven't actually done it) that the dives are in fairly deep blue water, so the short answer is "not very good". But you don't usually get into the water until a shark has been sighted.

Is it still a half day trip if you fly from Ambergris Caye to Placencia? Someone told us that we could catch a flight from AC to Placencia and then take the dive boat out to the site. is this too much to do in one day?

No direct flights from AC to Placencia. You have to fly to Belize City Municipal Airstrip and then change onto another plane that goes (via other stops) to Placencia. These connections are random, not organised.

Once you've landed at Placencia you have to get to the dive center of your choice, and I don't think there's any way you could arrive before the boat leaves, however early you start your journey (the first flight of the morning leaves AC at 7am). I haven't checked the early morning schedules, but I am pretty confident in saying that it wouldn't work. You have to travel down the previous day, and the last flight south is almost certain to leave the Municipal well before 5pm (again, I haven't checked the schedules).

Back
Top Bottom