Whale Shark at Molokini

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MeiLing

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
There was an blurb (with picture) about a whale shark visit on near Molokini on March 8th. It was in today's Honolulu Advertiser 4/4/08. It is pretty cool. Said that it sat very still near divers for a long time.

Sorry but it doesn't seem as though they posted it online.

Even better though, I did manage to find a site where the photographer posted them online:

Roy Bendell (roy-bendell-watermanphoto) : photos : Whale Shark Interaction with divers- powered by SmugMug

The second photo on page one is the one that was in the paper.

The pictures are incredible! Thank you for posting the link. I've never seen any whale shark pictures like those.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm under the impression that whale sharks are rarely seen in Hawaiian waters. To have one not only pass through, but actually stick around and interact with divers is just amazing.

Thanks again,
Dave

Nope, Kona sees them, not like the Manta or Eagle Ray frequency. ‘In Hawai’i, they are rarely found north of Kaua’i.” (Sharks and Rays of Hawai’i)

Maybe they figure they are the bigger creature. Amazes me too though seeing those photos…what is with people have to touch everything?

Amazing pix

Amazing pictures. I had the same feeling as RedRover when looking at the pictures, however, about why people feel the need to touch the poor thing. I don't get that. We were able to snorkel with whale sharks in Utila last year, but they didn't get nearly that close or stick around for that long.

Amazing pictures. I had the same feeling as RedRover when looking at the pictures, however, about why people feel the need to touch the poor thing. I don't get that. We were able to snorkel with whale sharks in Utila last year, but they didn't get nearly that close or stick around for that long.

I agree 100%. They almost tried to mate with the poor fish!

I think Prodiver and another boat were able to see the Whale Shark a few times... Everyone else was looking for it but didn't find it :( They had one up at Mala as well. They show up from time to time... You just have to be lucky!!

Sean

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom