We've lost one our own

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Larry C

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm sad to report the loss of a member of our little fraternity of underwater photographers. I don't know if he was active on the Scubaboard, but he was a terrific photographer, great diver and wonderful human being and will be missed.
Kawika Chetron was a constant presence in Monterey. Most weekends his truck could be found in the Breakwater lot, with him sleeping inside and his 17' Whaler behind. If you haven't seen his pictures, please check his website http://www.coldwaterimages.com/ while you still can. After showing his latest slide show to our dive club last Wednesday, Kawika set out for the North Coast, where he put in at Eureka and drove his boat to a place called Blounts Reef about 5 miles off Cape Mendocino. He was reported missing on Saturday, and the Coast Guard began an extensive search. His boat was found empty, save for his camera, and partially swamped. No sign of Kawika. Kawika often dived solo, and this area is apparently known for its treacherous currents and pounding waves. Neither diver nor equipment was found after a 3 day search.
Sadly, Kawika was the second newfound friend lost to diving this year. Earlier in the year, Robin Wadsworth who taught music to the deaf and had taught himself Taiko drumming and several languages, was lost freediving in Bonaire. He had used up his preflight dives and was freediving at about 30foot depth with his wife when he passed out and drowned. The verdict was lack of 0xygen due to nitrogen build up after several days of continuous diving.
Please be careful.

Sorry for you loss!

He will be missed.

BTW: "lack of 0xygen due to nitrogen build up after several days of continuous diving" does not make sense.

Terrible news, my deepest condolences to his family and friends.

just looked at kawika's site.

damn, such a wasteful loss.

condolences.

Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend...my deepest condolences to his family and friends

We have lost a great talent. His photo's are exceptional. My thoughts and prayers to his family, and to you Larry for your loss of a friend. Too many too soon.

Kawika's photos were awesome.
My condolesences. My thoughts are with his family and friends.
Dive safely.

I just visited your friend's website. His images are compelling; his captions really give a sense of what he experienced while he was composing his shots.

Clearly, he had a deep love of the ocean and its inhabitants.

My condolences to all who knew him.

Back
Top Bottom