wetsuits stretch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Miller

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Do wetsuits loose their stretch with time? The last two times I went diving in my 5M. It felt way to tight. I know what you are thinking. The older we get the bigger we get. But when I bought this suit I weight 210 lb. Now I only weight 185lb. The suit is 6 years old with only about 60 dives. What do you think?

Yes, wetsuits can loose elasticity over time, there are lots of variables, though. Age, exposure to sunlight, chlorine, salt (without rinsing) chemical exposure, and other stuff I can't think of off the top of my head. I have a 3 mil shorty that I use almost exclusively for pool sessions that is not as stretchy as it used to be.

Yup they sure can and the number of dives isn't the only issue, the older the suit the more it's been exposed to elements and the more time the elements it's been in (i.e. salt or water) have had to wear on it. I've also realized that while our weight may stay the same or even go down that doesn't mean we're the exact same proportions... my suit use to fit me well on my legs and arms and now has a little less material on the arms and I don't think it's because my arms got any longer.

Do wetsuits loose their stretch with time? The last two times I went diving in my 5M. It felt way to tight. I know what you are thinking. The older we get the bigger we get. But when I bought this suit I weight 210 lb. Now I only weight 185lb. The suit is 6 years old with only about 60 dives. What do you think?

yes, they lose thermal protection over time as the neoprene gas bubbles begin to compress permanently. When your suit starts to feel like it isn't as "springy" as it used to be, then it is time to replace it. The bubbles have compressed. As others have mentioned, other factors increase how quickly this happens. A more expensive suit made a major scuba manufacturer lasts longer as it is higher quality neoprene, but they ALL still do degrade and need to be replaced.

robin:D

Well maybe that’s the reason I get colder now. Everybody was telling me. It was because I was getting older. I don’t think anybody that dives gets older. Do they? So it’s time for a new suit. This time it will be a 7m.
Happy diving.

Every year I swear my wetsuit shrinks a bit and is a little harder to put on. However unlike you my problem is likely due to a wife who is a killer cook.

Although I still like to think it is the suit getting smaller and not me getting bigger. Much better for my ego :)

Back
Top Bottom