Wetsuits fit-need help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubamickey

I'm a GIRL!
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just came cross these really neat wetsuits on the internet, but the problem is that I fall in between sizes on the chart (8 & 10). This is actually the case for all the charts. I tried on an Oneill 3mm suit, the Reactor, and it fit great except that I felt too tight right around the shoulder and armpits. Very constrained to the point of feeling uncomfortable. I'm pretty average, 36 chest and proportionate everywhere else, so now I'm wondering if the rest was really too tight. It felt snug and looked painted on. I love it :)

But how loose is it supposed to be? I've only ever worn a shorty and that was always too big as well. The LDS I went into wasn't much help and left me staring at the suits to go unbox merchandise.

On top of that, I'm only 5'4 and all the charts have the suits increasing in height along with the weight. My LDS do not carry anything that I'm looking for (aside from that one suit mentioned above) and so I'm left to my own devices.

This is a tough call. If the suit is feeling too tight topside, underwater, that can cause a lot of discomfort breathing. Loose is no good either since you'll have too much water movement.
I'm lucky in that suits off the rack fit me like a custom cut - the answer for you might be a custom suit like AquaFlite or Liquid Fit. If you buy a suit that never fits you right, you're going to wind up uncomfortable or else have to replace it, so why not do it right the first time out?
http://www.liquidfit.com/
http://www.aquaflite.com/

Am in the same boat. between sizes. Most charts point towards a medium but I also lift weights from time to time and have developed a 42 inch chest and back combination. most mediums go to 39 or 40. see my other posts in exposure about scubal.com and their custom wetsuits. I have also just looked at bare's size charts and find that I'm a medium/large/short. I'm just hesitant to buy one on-line in case it does not fit. I'm affiliated with a local lds and could go through them to get one but even though we are a bare retailer ordering one suit can be a hassle since it's not our main line. What I like about the scubal is that it has the wrist and ankle zippers. Also would like to find out more about the shipping since people on here have said custom orders are high on shipping. BTW vital stats 5'7" 158lbs 32 inch waist 42 inch chest and 26 inch inseam. makes it hard to find a suit that will fit like it should without going custom. Also go to different manufacturers web sites like harvey's, henderson, bare, pinnacle, etc. am sorry to say but size charts are not generic. everybody seems to have a different idea of what a medium is. for general info a wetsuit should fit snug but not tight all over. this minimizes water movement through the suit. I would think that those with wrist and neck seals (semi dry) would be more forgiving but have no experience with them. If you find something that works at a reasonable price pm me and let me know what you got and where. And how willing they are to work with and fit you. Jim

You gotta try it on or be measured for a custom. Anything else is mailouder roulette. Take me, if you care to...
In the Bare sizes I was a perfect XLS. Get the XLS in and when it tight up to the crotch it's pulling down on my shoulders and the armpits are stretchd low. It turns out I have a long torso and the size chart does not capture that. By way of that example I'm pointing out what you seem to finding, you must try it on. To that end if you must travel to another location to find a well stocked attentive shop then do so.

If you find you fall outside of the off the rack sizes then by all means go custom. Some have been mentioned. Your profile is pretty thn so it's hard to be specific but if it's a cold water suit you need I can speak very highly of Atlan http://www.atlaninc.com/ My wife has the Tahoe set done all in 7mm and it does well for her. You will be measued by a dealer who is accustomed to getting the fit right. This is the next best thing to being measured by the tailor.

Fit is everything, do not compromise.

Pete

This is the point where I remember to mention that I'm in Alaska. I have 3 LDS with limited, although excellent, gear. Mostly dry suits. <sigh> Going to a different location means getting on a plane for Seattle. I think it's cheaper to just order the one I like in 2 different sizes and send one back.

Absolutely no argument from me on fit being important. Price is also now that I've blown mega bucks on new gear. A $300 custom suit is not in budget this year, unfortunately.

I'm wondering how good those charts are for the different wetsuits. I know with street clothes I have to just order the size I know I am as opposed to the size that the chart is saying I am.

I gave Dive Tank my measurements and weight and she suggested the 10. Which I would have though would be too big in the hip and waist.

scubamickey:
I'm wondering how good those charts are for the different wetsuits. I know with street clothes I have to just order the size I know I am as opposed to the size that the chart is saying I am.

I gave Dive Tank my measurements and weight and she suggested the 10. Which I would have though would be too big in the hip and waist.

Well you made my point. After reviewing my stats with DiveTank I got the XLS I mentioned and ended up doing a swap. Nobody's fault except perhaps Bare for not including the rarely seen "torso circumference" measurement in the charts. The good news is that DiveTank is great to deal with. In your situation sending several up to try is a good option.

Size/fit will vary between brand and even between materials and models in a brand. A good fitting coldwater wetsuit is almost a zero tolerance proposition and the human form just varries to much to get it all in a set of sizes. Bare has one of the broadest selections of sizes.

Pete

Maybe not an option but XS scuba makes a short wet suit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom