wetsuits and wool

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MacHeath:
Fair point. Foam neoprene seems to bee about 0.06 W/m.K
Still not as good as wool, so the conclusion still stands: Wool should help
The wool will be irrelevant from a thermal conductivity standpoint, because there's so much *water* between your body and the neoprene. The wool will have nothing to do with it.

Vacuum is still the best insulator (what's the thermal conductivity after all?). But, a flexible vaccum sheath isn't currently marketed for the human body that I'm aware of.

The thermal conductivity of wool - is that quoted as the value for a single solid strand, or for a pile of wool - the two values obviously must differ. if for a pile of wool, is that a pile of wool with air between the fibers, water between the fibers, ??? between the fibers? I think a review of conditions associated with the figures posted is in order to properly frame the discussion.

jonnythan:
The wool will be irrelevant from a thermal conductivity standpoint, because there's so much *water* between your body and the neoprene. The wool will have nothing to do with it.

That was my point though. I said if the suit didn't let much water in, like a winter steamer.

I actualy ran into a lady who has a really good reason to wear one.

Alergic to one of the chemicals used to process most neopreen.

lucky for me, a triple layer rash guard is sufficient, with a double hood(one thick one thin), now we are talking of 27centigrade here.... :eek:)

JimC:
I actualy ran into a lady who has a really good reason to wear one.

Alergic to one of the chemicals used to process most neopreen.
That is a good reason. I don't have any problems with the suits, they seem plenty high quality and the wool probably does make them comfier and easier to put on.

Just don't expect the soggy wool to magically make you warmer :)

Hi y'all.

Let me see if I can help explain how wool is exothermic.

The molecular structure of the interior of the wool fiber has the capabiltiy to accept water molecules into it. This process allows the molecular structure to become more stable, releasing heat as a by-product.

This means when dry wool gets wet, it releases some heat. If you happen to be wearing the wool, this helps keep you warm.

This phenomenon works in normal wool clothing to help regulate your temperature.

As you get hot, your "heat" is causes the wool to release the captured water molecules, using the heat you supplied as fuel. The heat is "absorbed" by the wool and you feel cooler.

When you get cold, the wool incorporates the water back into its molecular structure, releasing heat to keep you warm.

Personally, I think that the effect is minimal in a wetsuit. It is a true claim, but the impact may not be measurable in this instance.

However, if you want to stay warm and toasty topside, wear wool. Because it has the ability to regulate temperature you don't have to change your layers to compensate for temperature changes. With synthetics I'm always changing layers to stay the tight temperature. With wool, I wear the same sweater all day long.

Cheers.

PS - My qualifications are a Bachelor's degree in Biology and I teach wilderness survival courses covering this exact subject.

Back
Top Bottom