Wetsuits and Bouancy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tombiowami

Contributor
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a formuala, or give me a ballpark figure on bouancy characteristics of wetsuits? Right now I use 18# of weight with my 5mm suit in freshwater. If I went to a .5mm wetsuit, how much weight could I ditch, assuming freshwater?

Tommy

To my knowledge there is no formula for determining a wetsuits bouyancy. There are to many varibles involved for it to be that simple. It would depend on the neoprene itself, it's thickness, and it's age (as bubbles tend to compress and thereby reducing the bouyancy over time). The only way to find out for sure is to put it on and check your bouyancy. But you can get pretty darn close by submerging the wetsuit in a bathtub or barrel, weighting it until it's neutral.

Warhammer's right, the best way is to hop in the water and check... pool time is nice for this especially for fresh water.

Are you about 180lbs? If so, you fall close to the general guidelines from PADI: use 10% of your weight for a 5mm TWO piece wetsuit... in line with that they say 1-4 lbs for a diveskin or swimtrunks. The rest of the chart can be found in the Peak Bouyancy section.

Grab a handful of weights and head to the pool... Good luck!

If anyone needs additional weight I will be glad to let you be part of my Liposuction Transplant Experiments. I figure all these gals out here filling up with silicon bags. That is not proper filler material. So I am offering up my spare tire to the first 20 or so who want to be D or larger. Then I should be about the right size and you should be happy.

Transplants are starting in December!

Old Cup Size: [ ]Tiny [ ]Small [ ]Medium
New Cup Size: [ ] Handfull [ ] Bazooka [ ] Oh My God

Cost: Handfull ($375) Bazooka ($550) Oh My God ($Marriage)

100% guaranteed to feel like the real thing, I will check thoroughly. :wink:

Originally posted by Liquid
syruss-

you just kill me...

Did you put me as the beneficiary and when you are gone who is going to ship all your gear to me.

Not to be the greedy one, but could you have it all cleaned, serviced and tested before it is shipped. I am sorry to have killed you but scubadivers must go on, and I will remember you when I am using your gear.

I left you my old fin-straps and smelly booties.
Please suply an adress so it will be shiped directly to your house.

Note-
Do not try to open the bag holding the booties without taking the proper precoutions-

1-Have your will set, signed and wittnesed
2-Put on a gas mask
3-where rubber gloves
4-do it in the middle of the desert and inform any settlment within a 50 miles radius
5-pay your medical insurance
6-have a look at 1.

Back
Top Bottom