wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

islandguy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I read an article concerning using a wetsuit. According to the article, they recommend using a full wetsuit to prevent from being stung :11: . I will be the Akumal and Playa area in July. I already have a shorty but should I take a full wetsuit?

Thanks
Islandguy

May I suggest a Lycra skin?
Give the body protection, but generates no additional weight requirement due to increased buoyancy. Dries quickly and helps in donning the wet suit and costs a lot less than a new wet suit.

islandguy:
I read an article concerning using a wetsuit. According to the article, they recommend using a full wetsuit to prevent from being stung :11: . I will be the Akumal and Playa area in July. I already have a shorty but should I take a full wetsuit?

Thanks
Islandguy
As Der Kraken suggests a lycra skin or a 1mil suit would do well to protect against stings and "bumps" (heaven forbid) into firecoral. I've been wearing a 3/5mil suit (it's the only one I have), but my buddy wore his 3mil shorty over a lycra suit and did fine.

So when are you going in July?

Jerry

geraldp:
As Der Kraken suggests a lycra skin or a 1mil suit would do well to protect against stings and "bumps" (heaven forbid) into firecoral. I've been wearing a 3/5mil suit (it's the only one I have), but my buddy wore his 3mil shorty over a lycra suit and did fine.

So when are you going in July?

Jerry

I will be in Cancun from July 9-13, Akumal July 13-15, and Playa del Carmen July 15-19. I am planning to dive in Akumal and Playa. :jaws:

If you are planning on diving cenotes (and you should) you will need a minimum of a 3 mil full suit and possibly a hood. I just used the same 3 mil suit for both ocean and cenote dives to save packing space.

Harro10:
If you are planning on diving cenotes (and you should) you will need a minimum of a 3 mil full suit and possibly a hood. I just used the same 3 mil suit for both ocean and cenote dives to save packing space.

I agree on diving the cenotes, but I wouldn't take an extra suit with you for that. Both times I've been to the area and dived the cenotes, I rented a suit for the cenotes diving. Why? it cost only a few bucks and I didn't have to pack it! I packed a lycra skin (packs really small) for all warm water diving - ever want to get into the Aguamali (small, nearly invisible jellyfish that abound in Mexican waters - especially in summer) again without full protection.

My $0.02.

--divetahoe

all of your diving in that area is drift diving. best drift diving around i would say with a good captain and divemaster the diving is fantastic and effortless.
i dove with these guys 3 years ago, highly recomend http://sealifedivers.com/index.html
as for a suit it depends if you dive close to the reef or stay up above.a drift diver in playa who stays off the reefs could dive naked as long as they watch out for jelly fish. jelly fish tend to be out more at night.
everyone who posted above was correct a 1mm lycra will offer minamal protection for most everything. i dive close to stuff, taking pictures, exploring etc. i also am a little could nature so personally i use a 3/2 thermoprene from henderson in playa.
a shorty would not be my preference if i was only wearing that i would be way up from the reef.
sealife to expect would be baracuda by the 1000,s, large turtles, grouper and rays. i am envious.have fun and take lots of pictures.

islandguy:
I will be in Cancun from July 9-13, Akumal July 13-15, and Playa del Carmen July 15-19. I am planning to dive in Akumal and Playa. :jaws:
I'll miss you then... I'll be there just south of Puerto Morelos 7/24-31.

Thanks everyone for the information!

Islandguy

Also depends on how much diving you'll be doing and if you're someone who gets chilled or not. If you're doing 3 dives a day and some cenote days for 5-6 days in a row you may want more then a skin or 1mm. For a week in the Roo of ocean (3 dives a day) and a couple days of 2 cenotes/day, I'm in a 3mm and get chilly near the end of the week.

Back
Top Bottom