Wetsuit zip up.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Before dry zippers, they would allow water to pass through since you were pushing against the water as you moved. Back zip kept water exchange to a minimum.

This is why.

As for me, I'll take my custom cut, offset front zip any days. I can get into my wetsuit a lot faster than anybody else with a backzip wetsuit.

I wonder if one reason is because people's shoulders/arms can extend forward much more/easily than they can extend backward? I have a front zip skin and that's easy to get into and out of. But when I pull my back-zip wetsuit off, I definitely rely on the fact that I can extend my arms out in front of me, perpendicular to my body. I would not be able to do the same thing with my arms going backwards.

I haven't actually tried it though, as I don't have a front zip wetsuit; it's just a thought I had when donning and doffing my back-zip 5mm suit.

Well it is a buddy sport. Without a back zip, what would your buddy be good for?
Besides its always fun to yell "stick your chest out" when your buddy decides that hunching over is the best way to help you zip them up. :D
Helps in getting all the looks from the ladies :crafty:

Back zipper prevents chest hair to get stuck in zipper + the fact that you do not have the lanyard floating in your face. :D

Wait...you would not need a lanyard....darn.

Seriously, I am convinced it has to do with warmth and comfort (recess in the middle of the back) once it is pressured against the skin or body. Two pieces will involve full length zipper being in the back and shorty zipper up front and normally starting on a leg to facilitate the donning on and off.

Actually, if you look in a lot of water sports catalogues (like Overtons or Bart's) wetsuits are zippered in the back and "dive suits" are zippered in the front!!

The first time I wore a front zip wetsuit on a solo dive, I thought I was going to have to wear the damn thing home. I could not pull it off my shoulders.

Back zip is hard to don. Front zip is hard to doff.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom