Wetsuit vs Drysuit while in Cold Water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am not the most experienced diver in the world. I consider myself a newbie. But diving wet in the Jasper Alberta mountain lakes when the outside temp is cold (e.g. autumn at 45 degrees /9 Celsius) is:

1. Get dressed
2. Do dive
3. Get out of the water and peel off immediately (don't sit and shiver) - as for the outside temp, suck it up
4. Put on nice warm dry clothes
5. Warm up for a few hours before diving again

Anyone from Western US, Alberta or BC who dives the mountains wet in the fall will get this.

Oh yeah, I get it. You're describing May, June, and mid Oct. onward here in NS (but I don't change to clothes in between dives). These are times I do just suck it up and do the 2 dives that day. Before or after that means one dive from the house only. July through mid Oct. rarely means discomfort. Jan'-March sees me in N. Florida. Maybe 25 years up in Thompson, MB helped. I was just wondering how long your comfortable diving season is.

I dove a 7mm wetsuit + 5mm hooded shorty for my first few years of diving. It was a really nice, exceptionally well-fitted suit by Waterproof. Cold water diving can be very comfortable in a good wetsuit, but it's the dressing, undressing and sitting that hurts. Getting undressed in a cold rain or wind was a world of misery, and sitting on a windy boat deck even in summer could turn my lips blue! Boy, it's a real character-building experience to have lots of bare, wet skin in temps cold enough to make metal stick to your skin.

A drysuit is just a wonderful change to all that. I've been out at sea when there were still scattered football-field size ice floes (Finland in May ;-) but with a drysuit I was warm both in the water and out -no jacket needed. A membrane drysuit is also versatile. I've worn mine with long johns & a Weezle Extreme Plus at 1C and with equal comfort at +26C with just long johns underneath.

I would suggest diving dry in the winter, and diving wet in the summer.

As someone who learned in NS, I first went wet, then when I could afford it, went dry. I want to go back to wet, but, unless it is tropical, likely wont.

I am a little cold at 40 - 45 degrees (but tolerable) and comfortable at 45 to 55 degrees.

I'm always amazed at the number of people who mistake "I didn't die of hypothermia" for "I was comfortable."

:d

Give a drysuit a try, and you will surely see that you are NOT comfortable at 45F in whatever wetsuit you are wearing.

I'm always amazed at the number of people who mistake "I didn't die of hypothermia" for "I was comfortable."

:d

Give a drysuit a try, and you will surely see that you are NOT comfortable at 45F in whatever wetsuit you are wearing.

I can't say that I've ever been comfortable in a drysuit either. It's more a matter of which creates more discomfort.

Below 45 degrees water temperature or air temperature and below 60 feet I'll opt for the warmth of a drysuit. On a summer day with the water temperature around 50 I'll take the flexibility, simplicity and comfort of a wetsuit nearly every time.

On a summer day with the water temperature around 50 I'll take the flexibility, simplicity and comfort of a wetsuit nearly every time.
Since a summer day up here easily can offer me 15C (60F), rain and a cold breeze from North, I'll still opt for the drysuit during summer. Even with water temps almost as nice as the air temp. For the surface intervals. :cool:

Sent from my mobile. Typos are a feature, not a bug.

My first experience with a dry suit (outside of a pool) was Lake Silfra in Iceland in March 2012.
Organised tour. All the equipment provided by the dive shop with fleece over garment that I wore over skiing base garments.
Water was 35 / 37 degrees. Snow falling when we surfaced after the first dive and continued to fall for the 1 hour + surface interval to the extent that when we came to kit up for the second dive it had to be brushed off the equipment.
I was toasty warm throughout. More than I had thought possible when I booked the dives.
Convinced me to get the card and consider dry to be sure that I remain comfortable through both the surface interval and the second dive.

Be safe and warm.

John

Since a summer day up here easily can offer me 15C (60F), rain and a cold breeze from North, I'll still opt for the drysuit during summer. Even with water temps almost as nice as the air temp. For the surface intervals. :cool:

Sent from my mobile. Typos are a feature, not a bug.

Yeah, surface conditions can make a big difference. On the other hand though I've had some pretty hellish times in drysuits waiting to get in the water on 90 degree days.

Hi Panama Jones.

By all means, given your location, I’d start saving for a GOOD dry suit. You wrote in one of your posts that it’s a viable option for you to “suck it up,” and just deal with being cold. Personally, the only things that I care to suck up during a dive day are the liquids that help me stay hydrated. If there are tools or techniques that can be used to make the dive experience the pleasant, safe adventure that I hope it will be, then I’m all for it.

Many of the few cons, and considerable pros of diving dry have already been addressed in this thread, and I don’t wish to beat a dead horse. I will however throw in a few random thoughts and trust that I don’t repeat too much of what others have already stated.

Training is brief, straightforward, and not at all complex. You may even be able to have the shop where you purchase your suit throw in the class for free.

As regards exposure protection, safety and comfort are of primary concern. I never hesitate to purchase what I believe to be suitable, robust, and reliable equipment in either my suits or my life support gear. Cost, while a consideration in ancillary purchases, is relegated to a minor role in these instances. For an example of being overly stingy at the wrong time, look around for the Gary Larson cartoon entitled “Al’s Discount Shark Cages.” I’d post it up, but think that I’d be violating his copyright.

The whole idea of recreational diving is to maximize your time in the water. If you didn’t love to be there, then why go through all of the “trouble.” It makes no sense to me at all to be in any hurry to finish most dives. If all other aspects of my circumstances warrant a greater amount of time in the water, then why should I allow one preventable factor, (in this instance, the cold,) to force me to the surface before I’m good and ready? I’ve been diving dry for several decades now, (haven’t even owned a 1/4” or thicker wetsuit for over 20 years,) and am still amazed when I see people having to abort dives, (or worse, skimp on stops,) just because they are not properly equipped.

I’ve had my fair share of leaks in various dry suits. In most instances, the volume of water that enters the suit is quite small, and is not enough of a factor to cause a dive to be aborted. However, even a small leak is an issue that should be addressed as soon as is viably possible. The suits do not heal or miraculously mend themselves. Find and repair the suit ASAP. One particularly amusing incident, (actually a series of incidents,) occurred over a two day period when I was the stunt diver for a horrific bit of cinema that will go unnamed. The “talent” was dressed in a particular dry suit for the topside sequences, and I was his underwater persona. The “talent” was substantially heftier than I am, and it was “impossible” for the production company to find an identical suit that fit me. As a result, during every dive of the location shoot, I was diving in what appeared to be a dry suit, but was actually diving in a water filled rubberized envelope. As we were shooting and diving in warm, sub-tropical water, my safety was not jeopardized by the suit’s inability to keep me dry, but in “normal” dry suit circumstances, such a catastrophic flood would have caused an immediate abortion of the dive. The only real trouble I had was at the end of each dive, when I had to climb the ladder back onto the boat, weighted down with a suit filled with several gallons of water. Oh yes, I almost forgot, but the mask I had to use, (the same one the “talent” wore for his close-ups, didn’t fit me either, so it was usually half flooded. During ascents and deco stops, I just took the darn thing off and held on to the anchor line.

As this posting has taken a bit of turn towards levity, while still addressing the main issues, a few more words about “sucking it up” may be in order. As I mentioned earlier, I hydrate constantly. As I’m unaware of dry suits with relief flaps, you may, as you plan longer dives, find that you experience some rather urgent sensations in your nether regions. Having to relieve yourself in a dry suit may seem to be a rather messy or otherwise unpleasant affair. I have seen people staring at their timing devices, actually cross-eyed with urgency to get to the surface, whereupon they engage in a frantic dry-suit wriggle-dance and head off to the nearest bit of privacy and unleash the accumulated yellow stream. There is of course a simple way to prevent such discomfort. Simply wear a pair of incontinence shorts, (aka adult diapers.) I’m partial to Depends brand as they come equipped with self adhesive “tape-etts”.)

As this posting has taken a bit of turn towards levity, while still addressing the main issues, a few more words about “sucking it up” may be in order. As I mentioned earlier, I hydrate constantly. As I’m unaware of dry suits with relief flaps, you may, as you plan longer dives, find that you experience some rather urgent sensations in your nether regions. Having to relieve yourself in a dry suit may seem to be a rather messy or otherwise unpleasant affair. I have seen people staring at their timing devices, actually cross-eyed with urgency to get to the surface, whereupon they engage in a frantic dry-suit wriggle-dance and head off to the nearest bit of privacy and unleash the accumulated yellow stream. There is of course a simple way to prevent such discomfort. Simply wear a pair of incontinence shorts, (aka adult diapers.) I’m partial to Depends brand as they come equipped with self adhesive “tape-etts”.)

Or break your brand new toy and get an off-board evacuation valve :p (when I go dry, it will be the first thing I add)

Back
Top Bottom