Wetsuit too tight at neck only?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have you tried stretching it out overnight over a 12 liter Tank or a similar sized saucepan, you can change the memory of the neoprene, also works on latex seals.

Hmm, no, but that's actually a pretty good idea. Yeah, I love the design of the rolled neck too because it keeps me pretty comfortable even at 47 degrees, so I'm happy with the suit. I actually need to soak it, disinfect it and hang it up to dry anyway since I just got back from a boat dive in Monterey, so I'll stretch the neck while it dries since it'll be wet anyway and go from there. Thanks!

I have a similar problem with my 5mm Pinnacle. Very tight on the throat while I'm on the surface (although certainly not tight enough to cause bruising; just discomfort). Leaning forward definitely isn't fun (e.g. when gearing up), and I find myself pulling the neck down at the throat while waiting to hit the water. Feels great once in the water, though, and it is definitely warm.

I'm hesitant to stretch the neck, because I do get the occasional surge of cold water down my back if I "contort" too much underwater. Think that it's just the Pinnacle design, since a couple of my buddies, both male and female, have commented on the same. Definitely a warm suit, but be aware of this when you try it on...

Most suits will allow in a small amount of water in if you contort the neck. There is no such thing as a 100% seal on the neck or wrists unless you coat your neck/wrist in vulcanising rubber solution :wink::wink:

I got my bride to move the zipper over a half-inch (tappering down 2 inches) on a 3 mm suit that was too tight on the neck also. That was done with a normal sewing machine, loose stitch, and some aquaseal. I've had the old thing for a few years. The bride too :D

Hi, I'm glad I found this thread, although I can see that it was written a year ago, so I don't know if anyone will read mine. I was doing a search on the internet trying to find out about tight necks on wetsuits. I recently bought a 7mm Pinnacle Cruiser. I had to exchange the size a couple of different times because the shoulders and neck felt soooo tight. I ended up getting a suit that was 2 sizes too big for me according to the size chart, but I am still disappointed. The suit fits everywhere else (in fact, maybe a little bit too big at the bottom) but the neck chokes me. Standing up, it is bearable, but when I sit down it is suffocating. As a new diver who still occasionally gets anxious, the last thing I need is to feel like I'm suffocating! I though maybe the material just wasn't stretchy enough, so I thought about exchanging it for a Pinnacle Elastiprene, but now that I see that people have this problem with other Pinnacle suits, I don't know if that will solve my problem. I have not worn this in the water yet. Will it be more comfortable in the water? Will it stretch out over time? The other thing is, I have a hood with a bib that is meant to tuck under the wetsuit. There is NO WAY I would be able to get it is. Does anyone have any suggestions please?

I am considering the Pinnacle 5mil cruiser,i have a 16 inch neck,by shirt size,would be intersted to see what others say about the tight neck also

I also have a Pinnacle 5mm. I have a similar issue with it, as do my dive buddies who dive the same wetsuit. The neck is quite tight in the front, especially when sitting (e.g. gearing up). Once I am in the water, I am fine, but when I'm on the boat, I am usually holding the neck down with one hand.

I think that it's simply the cut that Pinnacle uses. I love the wetsuit, because it's toasty warm, but admit that the high neck is a (actually, in my opinion, the only) negative on the suit. But, as noted above, if it is so uncomfortable that it's unbearable - or pushing on your carotid - you will definitely want to look at other wetsuits. Unfortunately, unlike on a drysuit, wetsuit necks are not really trimable, although a custom wetsuit maker might be able to help you.

It's good to know that others have this problem and that I don't just have a freakishly fat neck! :) I have enough evidence now to justify returning the suit. It's not a HORRIBLE suit, and I do know that even the most comfortable 7mm in the world is still not going to feel like silk pajamas, but the sensation of choking in the Pinnacle was a bit too much. I have arranged to exchange it for a Bare Elastek, which is in the same price range and I am told it's much more stretchy and comfortable.

We have sold many Pinnacle wetsuits and I haven't had anyone complain about the neck seal causing serious fit issues. Certainly never seen any bruising. It is unique in it's design and it works well.
Pinnacle is considering doing some custom wetsuit design. I will follow up on this.
I'll also ask if they can just modify the neck seal portion on an existing suit.
P.M. me if you are interested in follow-up since I can't always go back and check all of the threads in a timely fashion.
Larry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom