Wetsuit thickness for Keys reefs in May?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Noemi

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am preparing for my Keys diving trip and have a choice between two options.

1) Full 2.5-3mm wetsuit
2) A 1mm long sleeve top and 1.5mm full leg pants

Wonder what would be more appropriate in the 78F water? No depths, just shallow reef.
I normally dive about 59-61F water in a full 8/7mm semi-dry with integrated hood, keeps me warm on 40-50" dives. Don't have much exposure into warm water diving, so have no idea what would be best.

If you dive Florida in May and your dives are mostly shallow, what is the exposure you'd choose?

today I wore a full 5MM suit with a 3/5MM hooded vest. water temp was 78F @ 20-35FT. I do get chilled easily. my dive buddy wore a full 5MM with a lycra hood. when the temp reaches 80F(within a week or 2) I switch to a full 3MM with a 3/5hooded vest,,,,,,,,,,,,shallow or deep dives, same wetsuits for me

reefman
key largo

I dive the keys in a 3mm shorty in December. My home diving area is Monterey, CA, where water temp is around 54 on average.

today I wore a full 5MM suit with a 3/5MM hooded vest. water temp was 78F @ 20-35FT. I do get chilled easily. my dive buddy wore a full 5MM with a lycra hood. when the temp reaches 80F(within a week or 2) I switch to a full 3MM with a 3/5hooded vest,,,,,,,,,,,,shallow or deep dives, same wetsuits for me

reefman
key largo

And when I dive with this guy in the same conditions, I'm in a dive skin MAYBE with a 3MM shorty over it :rofl3:

Thank you for the answers! Looks like 3mm would be a good choice.

I was really cold when certified in Hawaii a year ago, and remember having to wear a few layers with long pants and an undershirt. Didn't think to ask about wetsuit thickness though...

Since then I've been diving in Monterey in a 8/7mm wetsuit feeling completely comfortable, so maybe my cold tolerance went up a bit, who knows.

Last edited:
As you can see...it's really not as much about the water temperature as your individual tolerance of that water temperature. As you gain more experience, the key is to pay attention to your own body at various temps and learn what your personal tolerance is.

We can give you advice all day long, but in the end it's advice that will work for us...not necessarily you.

Enjoy your trip!

As you can see...it's really not as much about the water temperature as your individual tolerance of that water temperature. As you gain more experience, the key is to pay attention to your own body at various temps and learn what your personal tolerance is.

We can give you advice all day long, but in the end it's advice that will work for us...not necessarily you.

Enjoy your trip!
Exactly. Early on I made a list of what I needed for which temp. range, also considering air temp. Haven't needed the list for years.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom