Wetsuit Thickness For Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK,

What about booties? I would like to use my big open heel fins, is it logical to pick up some booties (like 3 mils) for the dives. As long as I don't swim in my fin pocket I could use my current fin. Any comments or reccommendations?

Thank You,

Jimi

Hi all,

I love Cozumel diving, it's among the best in the world. As for wet suits, it's a matter of how you take the cold. If your always warm like me, I rarely use a wet suit... typically only at night to protect myself from bites or scratches.
In the day time hours - a pair of shorts and that's about it.

Have a great time! We are going back in June... the 12-20th.... anyone wanna meet at C 'n C's?

I'm not sure that I follow the bathing suit only suggestion except for environmental protection at night.

Because Coz is drift diving in currents that sometimes can be powerful & changing, the diver is susceptible to bites/scratches at any time of the day. In fact, it's peak "sea lice" season on Coz now and they are quite active in daylight hours.

All of the Coz DMs, instructors & experienced divers that I know wear at least a skin at all times.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Wife is cold blooded and was comfortable in 3mm full with 3mm beenie. She also wore a PT hood for protection from sea lice (worked fairly well). I was fine in .5mm with 3mm beenie but the sea lice opened a diner at my neckline. Probably would have been smarter to let them move the boat rather than reboard thru the thimble jellies. Thankfully my reaction was very mild - just minor itching. I didn't see anyone diving without some protection with anything up to 3mm common.

What is a PT hood?

I'm going to Coz in 15 days (YAY!). I hear that the sea lice breakout lasts about 5-6 weeks and has been going on for 4 weeks already. But if they are still in full flower when they get down there I want to cover up as much as possible.

I guess tucking a full hood into my wetsuit would be the way to go, wouldn't it?

I just got back from the Yucatan yesterday :upset: Caribbean waters were about 84 degrees and Dos Ojos Cenote was 75 degrees. The wind cancelled boats for a few days so we did some shore diving and visited the cenotes. I used a Bare 3/2 full suit and was very comfortable - not hot nor cold. I am glad I opted for the full suit rather than a shorty. My booties are a 6.5mm and my feet were a little on the hot side. But I do recommend a hard sole overa soft sole. Enjoy your trip.

I dove PDC in late April with a 3mm shortie. All of my DM/Instructors wore full 3mm, the instructor even wore a hood. She was amazed that I didn't get any sea lice rashes. I did, however, apply waterproof sunscreen to all exposed area prior to each dive.

Just got back Friday and I wore a swim suit and t-shirt. One of the other divers wore a Lycra skin and another had on a 3mm shorty. Take your pick... for warmth or for protection?

Enjoy and if you get a chance tell the operator you dive with you would like to do "Devils Throat" on Punta Sur. It is the best part of diving in Cozumel!

Ice

My sweetie and I both wore 3 mil jumpsuits. I had a beanie as well. He got chilly on some of the longer dives. I was fine.

Water temp was usually 81 - 82 degrees.

Both of us got stung by sea lice on our exposed bits, despite the waterproof sunblock.

are cooler than usual so far this year. I took my 1 mil full and there were a couple of times I wish I had something slightly thicker. This is especially true on those days in which I had gotten a little more sun than I intended. Also - having a wetsuit as true exposure protection itself (protection from stinging things), definately added a layer of comfort.

Back
Top Bottom