Wetsuit Suggestions Needed for Surface Swimming in 55-65F

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mer

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm hoping to elict some advice in:
1) what type (shorty vs. full)
2) what material (regular neoprene vs. hyperstretch etc) and
3) what thickness
for surface swimming in open ocean off New England (Boston) in the summer when the surface temperatures tend to be 50 to 65 deg F. This is for triathalon type events where distance would be 500 meters to 1/3 mile (15-20 minutes in the water).

I'd love to hear from those who have experience with exposure suits in this application or a very familiar with the wetsuit lines.

You all ROCK!

m

- may you take many long walks off short piers

(I just realized I just wrote this thread while in a building that is built on stilts over the Atlantic Ocean... how fitting! - and yes, I do amuse easily.)

Hey ya Mir:

I think if you are into triathlon swimming for competition you might want to check out some of the triathlon wetsuit sites.
These special designed suits are completely made different then the one we use for diving ect.

For several reason such as a special type of rubber they use for more buoyancy, the slick outer skin material is for speed & the composition "different thickness" of the suit itself. For ex. the legs & lower torso will usually be 5 mil. in respect to 3 mil. for the arms & upper torso area.

I'm no expert in this field, but since i love water sports & sometimes it's hard to find a diving buddy, i usually do alot of uncompeting topside swimming.
The T-1 made by desoto sports is one of my favorite's.
Another website to check out www.reddingtrisport.com/training_gear.htm
One can get some usefull tips .
Hope this helps:

Good swimming & diving to you....

:wink:

Back
Top Bottom