Wetsuit space in lower back, is this a problem?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robomatic

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I bought my first wetsuit, Pinnacle Elastiprene 7mm Med/Large, the Medium was just too small and choked me a little so I went up a size. This suit fits much more comfortably (no choking! :) but there is a bit of an air pocket in the lower back, maybe .5" of space. I plan to be wearing a 3mm hooded vest for the cold NorCal waters, which does help closing the space into a very small air pocket (almost negligible, but still there).

How much of a problem will this be? If it's enough of an issue, any suggestions? Perhaps an expert could alter it? Maybe I should pack on some muscle to fit my suit better haha. Thanks!

It can be slightly annoying. but is quite common. Some higher end wetsuits have a lumbar pad to fill in that space. Most cheaper ones don't.

That space may compress once the BC is on and tightened up.

I dive north and in colder than you plan in. Each person has their own response to cold.

Suggestion
test locally if possible at similar temps
talk to the op you are diving with about what you have and what they recommend.

Nope.

the K

Cool guys, I'll try it out this weekend. I forgot to mention but I'll just be using it for snorkeling/freediving now, I'm not starting scuba quite yet :). I'll report back on my findings.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom