Wetsuit Sizing Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ronniemu

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I already own a Bare full 5/4 Velocity wetsuit size (MLS). The S is for the short length. This suit fits well. For a gift I was given the same wetsuit in a 2mm shorty, (size ML). I was told that shorties come in medium/large (no short sizes, because they are shorties). I tried on the wetsuit, from the waist down it was very loose. The top fits comfortable. The store from whom it was purchased said neoprene does conform to your body. They suggested to try it on in a warm shower. I feel I want a better fit.

My measurements are as follows:

Weight: 152 lbs.
Height: 5 ft. 6 inches
Chest: 41 1/4 inches
Waist: 32 inches
Hips: 35 inches

The manufacturers states that the medium/large covers the following sizes:

Weight: 160 to 180 lbs.
Height:
Chest: 39 to 41 inches
Waist 33 to 35 inches
Hips 39 to 41 inches

The manufactures states that the medium covers the following sizes:

Weight 150 to 175 lbs
Chest: 37 to 39 inches
Waist and hips unknown.

Question:

Should I try a medium? Would the 2mm wetsuit stretch enough to fit my chest? My chest size is about 41 inches and the suit is rated between 37 and 39 inches. The wetsuit manufacture calls it (HYDRO Stretch). Does this really mean anything?

You need to go try it on, period. Anything else is a guess.

Neoprene will conform. This depends on how much it has to stretch, the specific material and where on your body the stretching is needed. If it's loose when you try it on then it will only get worse when wet and with use.

Hydro stretch is Bare's hi stretch material. They use it in targeted areas. I have a 5/4 velocity as well so I know what you're talking about.

Pete

I wish I had the option to try it on. It was purchased online and it was a gift. Thanks for your help!

Ronnie

You are not going to get a great fitting wetsuit unless you have one custom made. Sorry for the bad news.

You can get a Henderson Hyperstrech in a small size. It will fit better in the legs and waist, and can stretch enough for your chest and shoulders, but you will feel it in the chest.

A six inch or more difference in chest and waist and most wetsuits are baggy on the bottom. The greater the difference, the harder it is to find a good fitting suit.

The hyperstrech is more strechy without feeling as binding. You can struggle with other neoprene, but it's uncomfortable around the chest. I haven't tried every suit, but I have the same problem you have and the hypestrech works for me.

It sounds like it just won't keep your lower half warm. You could probably use it to add a layer to your full suit?

Rap

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom