Wetsuit Shopping

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jboothe

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello everyone. I have been certified for a long time and I am now getting back into. I have also been lurking here for a while but this is my first post.

I am in the Midwest and I am hoping to do some dives around here this summer at the local quarries and lakes. I am not getting too technical (not too deep and not too cold) and I don't want to invest in a dry suit right now so I am looking at cold water wetsuits. My question is concerning the differences between an expensive high end wetsuit such as Waterproof W1/W2, Henderson Aqua Lock, etc and some of the lesser expensive models and brands. Is one really going to keep you that much warmer? Are they that much more comfortable? Are they worth twice the price? I can get a used but never worn Waterproof W1 or W2 suit for $350 or I can get a Henderson Thermoprene suit for $175.

I could use a little help. Which one would you get or should I get a Cressi Lontra for $240? Thanks.

Decisions, decisions....

I just got a waterproof 7mm w1 and a w2 a few weeks ago so I could dry them both on to see which one I like better. As far as I know the only more expensive wetsuit on the market is the nova scotia not that I'm saying it is better since I've never tried it. The only other wetsuits I have used are a body glove 3mm with wrist seals and the henderson 5mm (I was absolutely freezing in 55 deg water with the 3mm and still a bit cold in the 5mm).

For the most part I guess it depends on your body type. One who has more fat on them will be fine in a less quality wetsuit (does not have wrist, ankle, or neck seals) than one who does not. I don't have a lot of natural insulation so I bit the bullet and bought a waterproof 7mm and have not been cold at all. The seals work great and its easy for the most part to get off and on. Right not I have only dived in the Chicago land spring and summer seasons so I don't know how well it will work out in the late fall.

Warmth depends on the fit of the suit itself. Baggy suits will not be as warm because water is allowed to be flushed throughout. Suits that fit closer to you, gives for little room for the water to move throughout the suit. Less flushing leaves the water in the suit longer which in turns will heat you because the body heat you are losing is transferred into the water that is trapped in the suit. Be careful though not to get a suit that is too tight.

Back
Top Bottom