Wetsuit Review: Harvey's Kobalt Pro-Flex

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doc Harry

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Wetsuit Review:

Harvey's Kobalt Pro-Flex Wetsuit
Harvey's Wetsuits

Photo from the Harvey's web site

Recently I purchased a Harvey's 7mm Kobalt Pro-Flex one-piece wetsuit. I had the pleasure of testing it the "cool" (68 degrees) waters of Key West last week. While everyone else shivered and refused the second dive, I was warm and toasty. Here are my impressions of the wetsuit:

BACKGROUND

Until Recently I owned only two wetsuits (Henderson Hyperstretch wetsuits 3mm and 7mm, which function effectively as 2mm and 5mm wetsuits, respectively). My Henderson 3mm wetsuit is extremely comfortable but useless for diving (not warm enough) and has been retired for whitewater kayaking. My Henderson Hyperstretch 7mm did not keep me warm in the Keys during repetitive dives in 68 degree water. Thus I purchased a "real" 7mm wetsuit. I wore 16 pounds of weight with my Henderson 7mm Hyperstretch; I had to wear 22 pounds with the Harvey's wetsuit with an identical configuration.

I have no financial or other relations with Harvey's or their dealers.

THE WETSUIT

The Kobalt Pro-Flex comes in two models: (a) a two-piece suit (farmer john and shorty suit) or a (b) one-piece jumpsuit. The Kobalt interior is smooth and looks and feels wonderful. The suit absorbs very little water and dries rapidly. There is a plethora of options, such as side pockets, elbow pads, knee pads, sleeve pockets, arm & leg zippers, etc. Of course, it is much easier to don if you wear a Lycra undergarment.

IMPRESSIONS

Wow! This is a great wetsuit. It is deserving of its reputation of a very well made wetsuit. I highly recommend the Harvey's Kobalt Pro-Flex.

PROS

1. Very well-made (it better be, for the price $472)

2. Kobalt lining is super nice and smooth

3. Absorbs very little water, dries very quickly

4. A plethora of options and sizes including customizing

CONS

1. The neck seal is a problem and an Achilles' Heel for all wetsuits, this one included. I wear a hood to minimize water influx.

2. I am really disappointed with the "bellows" hip pockets. Perhaps I was expecting "real" pockets like XS Scuba or Halcyon bellows pockets. No, the Harvey's optional "bellows" hip pockets ($20 or $28) are useless. They are manufactured from neoprene and are too small to be usefull. I might store my finger spool in the pocket, but the velcro flap is so small and insecure that I'm afraid that I would lose my gear. I cut my off the pockets and replaced them with "real" bellows pockets.

FINAL RECOMMENDATION

I strongly recommend Harvey's Kobalt Pro-Flex wetsuit. I won't be in the market for another wetsuit for a long time. And when it's time, I'll be calling Harvey's again.

Back
Top Bottom