Wetsuit questions. Too tight? Will it stretch?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What kind of suit did you get? Some suits are stretchier than others and give you alot better initial feeling when you have them on...

Hope this helps

Its a :

O'Neill Mens Reactor 3mm 2mm Flex Jumpsuit
Size Large

I've tried it on a few times now. I actually wore it around my house for about 20 minutes yesterday to make sure I wasn't cutting circulation off. I think its going to be okay. Its just pretty tight. I'm not used to wearing wetsuits often. I'm just paranoid that its going to bother me on the live aboard trip.

I promise you....if you can answer the questions in my first post on this thread, this will tell you if you have the proper size. Where did you buy it from, did they have other sizes to try on? When is your trip? Can you get to a pool and/or play in the shower :D

The neoprene will stretch. There are 2 kinds of tight when trying one on.
1. So tight you cant wait to get it off and want to rip it off immediatly- WRONG SIZE
2. Its tight, but just uncomfortable a little, something your not used too and feels a bit awkward- Perfect fit as it WILL stretch. After you wear/break-in for about 6-8 dives, it will start to form to your body. It will be easier to put on, and just kind of snap into place....even after the first dive, it will seem alot better.

What kind of suit did you get? Some suits are stretchier than others and give you alot better initial feeling when you have them on...

Hope this helps

Answers to your questions:

1. Its not so tight that I'm waiting to rip it off.
2. Its is somewhat uncomfortable to wear. I'm not used to wearing a wetsuit so it might just be normal. The worst spot is the neck. It feels like its choking me. But not to the point where its restricting my breathing. Almost like when I wear a tie.( I can't stand wearing a tie BTW)

Your second round of questions:

1. I ordered it from Divers Direct online. So no, I was unable to try on other sizes.
2. I'm leaving for Freeport on the 6th or June. About 1 week away!
3. I'm sure I could find a pool to test it out but I'm afraid if I get it wet I won't be able to return or exchange it.

What I think I'm going to do is hit up my LDS and try on a few suits. If they fit astronomically better I'll buy one and return the one I bought through divers direct.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I acquired an OLD billabong 302 that is quite a chore to don. Someone mentioned "Bare" and got my attention. It is the most amazing fit through out, I don't need to look any farther. For off the rack I am SOLD on the bare arctic 7mm, easier to don than the 302 surf suit and about the same tightness from neck to ankle. I am told it will loosen over time(not too much I hope).
If it felt like you could not straighten out. you may have not had it on fully OR it was short IE a short or MD when you need long. And yes, once water is introduced it will slide into place better.
Loose spots may tighten and tight spots may loosen. But if it is a loose fit dry, it will be sloppy loose when wet and of little or no use.

If your face turns red from the collar tightness it may need adjustments. I have a shorty that fits a little tight in the neck but prefer no water flooding there.
I don't believe you mentioned where you will dive with this suit, sounds like a relatively warm water suit, unless you are a polar bear. Flushing and flooding in cold water is breathtaking.

I'm doing a Blackboard's Live aboard in the Bahamas. I guessing the waters going to be around 80! I always could dive without the suit but doing repetitive dives all day takes it's toll. I'm usually pretty good with cold water. (growing up on the Jersey Shore helped) I'm going to LDS tomorrow to see what they think.

My dad just did Blackbeards a few weeks ago :wink:

He took a 3m and wished he had something thicker due to alot of repititive diving and his core temp never fully warming back kup...I had another guy that took a Pinnacle Merino 5mm and everything was perfect for him....all depends on the suit...one thing that is for sure is you will have a kick ass time!!!

When you get in the water, the layer of water between you & the suit make it move over your skin a little easier. As you descend, the suit will compress a little/a lot, the compression is from all directions, so the suit seems to relax a bit. I'v always found it becomes much better/more comfortable once I'm under. Sounds about rite, but your the only one that can tell. You do have to be aware of neck seals affecting circulation.

Answers to your questions:

1. Its not so tight that I'm waiting to rip it off.
2. Its is somewhat uncomfortable to wear. I'm not used to wearing a wetsuit so it might just be normal. The worst spot is the neck. It feels like its choking me. But not to the point where its restricting my breathing. Almost like when I wear a tie.( I can't stand wearing a tie BTW)

Your second round of questions:

1. I ordered it from Divers Direct online. So no, I was unable to try on other sizes.
2. I'm leaving for Freeport on the 6th or June. About 1 week away!
3. I'm sure I could find a pool to test it out but I'm afraid if I get it wet I won't be able to return or exchange it.

What I think I'm going to do is hit up my LDS and try on a few suits. If they fit astronomically better I'll buy one and return the one I bought through divers direct.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Steve,

From what I've been reading it sounds like you have something that fits right. I bought my first wetsuit in April. I had been renting wetsuits for the past few years.

I don't wear a tie and REALLY don't like buttoning up that top button. My wetsuit feels a little bothersome when I zip up. You'd think I was Rodney Dangerfield by the way I keep fussing with the neck. Once I'm in the water I don't notice the neck. A few times, just so I'd be comfortable on the boat, I left the neck a little loose. A lot of water got in and I was cold. Be a little uncomfortable as you are waiting to step off the boat. It should only be a few minutes but it will make the 45-60 minutes in the water better.

Someone mentioned a 2-3mm might not be enough for Bahamas. I'd agree. I dive everything from Aruba/Bonaire/Curacao (very southern) to Cuba (northern). These are all south of the Tropic of Cancer (Bahamas islands are north of Tropic of Cancer). I was just in the Caribbean in April and found a full 3mm to be a little cool (two dives a day for 11 days). I haven't been to the Bahamas but I suspect it will be cooler.

I'd recommend bringing some warm clothes (Lulu Lemon hoodies works for me) to wear once you get out of the water. Remember that the water down there will be between 75F and 85F but your body is 97F.

By the way, the chlorine in a pool is going to fade the neoprene. If you wear the thing in a pool you can pretty much guarantee they will not take it back.

I'd say you bought the right size suit. Without trying a few different suits you'll never really know. Enjoy what you have. Maybe you can see if they have something different on the boat and you could try a dive or two with a rental to see if you made the right choice. That is, try on a suit that is a little looser on your first day of diving. Then try on a rental that is about the same as your new suit. If the second rental seems good, dive the rest of the trip with your new suit. If you need something looser, rent for the rest of the trip and return the new suit for something larger.

Just want to give everyone an update! I took the wetsuit to my LDS and they said its a perfect fit. Thanks for the help everyone!!!!

Scubadiver888: I hope the 2/3 is going to be warm enough! Last time I looked the water temp was 81F. That was 2 weeks ago. Hopefully I won't be cold. I'm from PA and I grew up going to the Jersey shore so I'm pretty good with chilly water. I leave on Friday so I'll let you all know in a couple weeks. Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom