Wetsuit purchase advice for noob

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

djminus1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
At the end of June, I will be visiting Cabo San Lucas and doing some diving. I am also going to be in Hawaii in February. As of right now, I have no equipment of my own, however, I am certified and am ready to purchase my own equipment. Right now I am looking at wetsuits.

I have always dove in shorties and was quite comfortable in warmer waters. I realize that this would not be sufficient for colder waters, but I just want a wetsuit for warm waters right now. So my question is, what kind of suit should I buy given my next two destinations, Cabo and Hawaii? Should I go full length or shortie? 3/2?

Any suggestions on types and brands would be appreciated. I would like to stick to the cheaper suits for this purchase.

Thanks

Farmer John and Step in jacket 3mm each. You can wear the jacket as a shortie. If it's colder wear the Farmer John and open the jacket as needed for comfort. A vest with hood can help in even colder water.

My husband was just in hawaii and felt his 3 mm full suit was perfect. He also wore reef gloves. He is typically the type that never gets cold and even said I might need a 5 mm when we go to hawaii. it is a similiar temp in Cabo from what I nderstand. I would at least go with the 3mm, but having a 3 mm farmer john just in case is not a bad idea.

I would go with a full suit 3/2 mm. I have a 3/2 jumpsuit from Wetwear and I have been to Hawaii, and other tropical locations. This was perfect. I also purchase a 3 mm Short sleeve shorty to go over my full suit when I need more warmth. I usually only use the shorty in the winter months in Florida, but I have taken it on long trips when I knew I would be doing days of multiple dives. My suit was a little pricey but I went all out with the best material and all the top of the line options. They do have suits that are custom made and very price comparable to anything you would buy off the rack. You can read more on their suits if you Google Wetwear or Rubatex. Good Luck!

my vote is for henderson hyperstretch steamer. Especially when diving a few days in a row. By the third day or so, i usually fell like that 78 degree water feels more like 72 degrees.

Either way - buy right the first time (unlike me) - and try to get the most versatile suit for the type of diving you intend on doing. Soujnds like maybe the farmer john would be best.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom