Wetsuit probs........

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Choke

Reaction score
I'm currently half way through my OW course which I'm doing in the UK.
All of the people doing the same course are obviously all raw beginners and nobody as yet has invested in buying their own gear.
At our last session we were all laughing about who would be the first one to come in all kitted up like James Bond and be lining themselves up to be the butt of all the jokes, but I don't care!!! I went and bought myself a shortie wetsuit yesterday because I can't face getting out of a cold swimming pool just wearing a T-shirt anymore.
Freezing my ass off at the end of the session has got to be one of the least enjoyable things I can think of, so I've opted to run the gauntlet of abuse because of it. Tonight will be my first session wearing it so wish me luck. lol

Very petty I know but hey, And so what????

Congrats on being the first one in your class to do the right thing rather than be intimidated into being foolish. Being cold is actually a factor in DCS. I have a friend who, believe it or not, got bent after repetitive dives in 20' of water. I think it was because he was cold (he is a volunteer diver at an aquarium).

I am afraid you will hear a lot of that kind of nonsense as you pursue this incredible sport. Please always do what safety, your conscience and your comfort dictate, and ignore the wiseacres!

Ken

Hi Choke,
Think about investing in a 200 gm undersuit, thermals and a dry suit if you are going to dive in the uk. Last year June/Nov local west coast water temp ranged between 10 -15C, Dec/ May, 4/10C. I don't say you will be warm but it will be bearable. Most of the year you will freeze in a wet suit between dives.

Choke,
I agree with kwesler in that it will not be the last time you hear such nonsense from other divers. Don't let that affect your descisions about comfort and staying warm.
Staying warm and comfortable conserves energy, allows for clearer thinking and awareness, and just makes the diving experience more enjoyable. There are several more medical and technical reasons for using proper thermal protection that your instructor should be able to explain. Bottom line is it makes you a safer diver!
Stick to your guns. You may be surprised how quickly the rest follow your lead.

jetwrench

I wear a 3mm full length wetsuit when I'm in the pool and I still get cold. I'm tempted to bump to an 8mm, with hood and everything, I get so cold by the end of the 2 hour class! We tell our students to wear at least a pair of sweats and to bring any wetsuit they may have if they water ski, etc. No one gets made fun of :)

This sport is NO FUN if you're only focused on how cold you are.
Ber :bunny:
P.S. I love cold water diving just not in the pool!

My OW class was over a 3 week period. I bought my wetsuit
during the first and second week. The two piece 7mm worked
well for me [a New England diver] as I could use the jacket in
the pool and now in the warmer bays.

I didn't receive any abuse about having it. In fact, the only abuse
I got was from my OW Instructor when I bought my weightbelt,
since he always tried to sneak something pink into my gear, and
he ended up relegated to weights. [it has become a running joke
now ;].

-Jeff

If they're laughing before you get in the pool, be sure to note who's laughing when they climb out shivering and you don't. :thumb:

Thanks guys.

Well last night I came out in my new shortie and I got a couple of "Oooooooh look at the pro diver" remarks but I must say that my diving session was excellent due to me being as snug as a bug in a rug!!! :)
As the end of the session came to an end I had a big grin on my face as some joker had taken all the towels and spare t-shirts and had hidden them. While everyone was flapping around freezing their butts off, I was feeling the same kind of warmth that you get when you *cough cough* urinated into your trunks for the first time as a kid in a pool. :wink:

The end result was that everybody wanted to know where to get their hands on a wetsuit.

My DM shook my hand while laughing at the end and said "Nice one".

Ok, I just bought myself a nice set of fins and a mask too.
Should I go for the kill and get a diving knife for the pool training? Now that'd really cause a stir. lol

Originally posted by Choke
Should I go for the kill and get a diving knife for the pool training?

It all depends on if you intended the pun or not! :)

If you show up with your new dive knife, just remember to have
practiced your psycho face! :getsome: :bigger:

-Jeff

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom