Wetsuit pocket/pocket shorts recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe but the towel you use is going to alter it. Plus you're stretching neoprene. No guarantee that the measurement will yield correct results. It may take several pieces of cardboard anyway if you're trying to stretch a 7 mil or stiff 5. I have gotten good results doing it the way I described on a dozen or so suits. As have others who have used the method. No need to overthink it. Cardboard is cheap.

I use the former ones and when on they stay more or less flat. In the water who cares because you'll have stuff in them so they won't be flat. I also want pockets that open and expand easily. Ones that are held flat by some mechanism may restrict my ability to get stuff in and out of them.

John Allen (Northeastern Scuba Supply) suggested I try a slightly different process than Jim Lapenta's time-tested method; he prefers McNett Seal-Cement (AKA neoprene glue) because stays more flexible than AquaSeal, and because it can be removed with solvents, should you desire. For stretching the suit I just wore it, placed the pocket where I wanted it, then had my wife trace the pocket with a sliver of chalk (or bar soap would work.) Then I stretched the suit leg over the tapered end of an ironing board and used a few pinch clamps to hold the suit stretched exactly the right amount so the chalk outline matched the pocket.

Rather than one tube of aqua seal, use a can of Seal-Cement. One pocket will use about 75% of the can (if you glue the entire back surface, less if you just glue the edges.) Seal-Cement is a contact cement, so you coat both the suit and the pocket. The trick is the first coat of glue quickly soaks into the neoprene, so you give both surfaces a coat, wait 30min, then apply a second coat (less will soak in), then finally give it a third coat. Let dry 5-10 minutes until just tacky, then press the pocket onto the suit being careful to not leave air gaps. If you have a "j-roller", use it to press them together, if not, just press methodically all over the pocket with your hands or a rolling pin (shhh, don't tell.) Check the very edges and toss a little extra glue under bits that aren't stuck down completely. Throw some lead weights on top and let it sit for a day.

If I had to do it again probably wouldn't coat the entire back of the pocket and just do a 1" margin around the outside. I don't think the pocket could come off as long as the edges are securely glued down.

Stuart, I used this DiveRite pocket:
Dive Rite Glue-On Thigh Pocket | Dive Gear Express®

I would have preferred to use a zippered pocket:
Dive Rite DC Bellows Pocket, Vertical, Zipper Closure | Dive Gear Express®

But this doesn't have the neoprene backing (just belt loops for 2" webbing). I'm not sure the neoprene cement would stick the cordura to a neoprene wetsuit, so I may try aquaseal if I add pocket to another wetsuit.

Am I the only one who finds the velcro closures to be a bit of a pain to open? I'm thinking the zipper (with a decent sized bungie or zip-tie loop added as a pull) would be better.

I have the XS Scuba pocket glued on to my suit. It works great, but you will need 2 of the small tubes of Aquaseal. I did not stretch my suit, but laid it flat, glued the pocket, and left it to set for at least 24 hours with a board with an aluminum 80 on top of it.

My only real advice would be to go easy with the Aquaseal around the edges, some oozed out around the sides. I'm the only one that notices it though. It gets lots of positive comments on dive boats, most from people that never knew it was possible. I use it mainly for dive lights, but I could keep a SMB and finger reel in it as well.

My suit is getting worn but if I can't get it off when I buy a new suit, another pocket will be ordered with the suit.

XS Scuba Glue On Bellows Pocket | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL - Dive Right in Scuba

Good luck,
Jay

Thanks for your replies. It sounds like many people use and are happy with the XS glue-on pocket. A few questions: I've seen the XS pocket but thought it seemed a little small compared to:

Extreme Exposure
or
Light Monkey

I'm just wondering if it can fit everything needed for a technical wreck dive (backup mask, wetnotes, SMB & spool, safety spools, maybe a backup SMB, etc.)

The Dive Rite one (Dive Rite Glue-On Thigh Pocket | Dive Gear Express®) is the same size as the XS. The Golem Gear one (Golem Gear Pocket For Dry Suit) is bigger but still cheap. Has anyone seen or used it (I'm not sure if it has neoprene backing)?

In your XS pockets, do you install bungee or cord to clip things to?

Thanks.

These enormous pockets seem like overkill for me. Shouldn't big, important stuff be be hanging on your D-rings? Two more reasonably sized pockets seems more useful to me. YMMV.

I think all these pockets come with an internal cord to clip bolt snaps onto. Unsecured items can come tumbling out when you pull out a big item.

BTW, it's nice to stash a shorty water bottle in a pocket for a refreshing drink during the dive!

Last edited:
These enormous pockets seem like overkill for me. Shouldn't big, important stuff be be hanging on your D-rings? Two more reasonably sized pockets seems more useful to me. YMMV.
I was taught that the things that go in pockets are things you don't intend to use (like a spare mask) or are for use at some point late in the dive (like an SMB and spool). I understand that jump spools and safety spools are normally stuck in pockets too. And you want stuff in pockets as it makes it harder to get hung up in interesting and exciting ways.

I've never been caught with my pants down (during the dive) using the DGX pants, but when I take my BP/Wings with tank attached off my back at the end of the dive, the tank bottom always grabs the edge of the trousers and does pull my pants down. Fortunately, I'm wearing my wetsuit.:) When I start the dive, I pull the cord tight. It does stay tight until the end.

I think that one of the advantages of the pocket pants as opposed to glue on pockets is that you can move the pants from one suit to another. If you have a consistent way of diving (spare mask in left pocket, wet note in right pocket....) then when you go from say drysuit to wet suit or from a heavier wetsuit to a lighter one, you have consistency and one less thing to worry.

Last edited:
I've got the XS pockets on a wetsuit. If I'm doing something technical I'm in my drysuit (expedition-type pockets) so I'm not too concerned with the smaller size of the XS ones. Right is working pocket, left is emergency pocket. You don't need to carry that much stuff.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom