Wetsuit or drysuit for Ontario diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tropical

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm sure this question has been asked many times before, but I can't find a recent answer, so here goes.

I'm thinking of buying a cold water exposure suit for diving in places like Ontario. I am thinking of getting either a drysuit or a 7 mm wetsuit. I dove last year a couple of times with various 7mm wetsuits, down to as cold as 50F and I know that I don't want to repeat that again. I also find the 7mm drysuit difficult to get into and out of and some models really choke my neck.

If I get a drysuit, are there some areas in Ontario that would be too warm, or some seasons where it doesn't make sense to wear a drysuit? Your comments are welcome.

Also, I believe that it's difficult to travel with a drysuit. Is this true?

I doubt that you will find too many places in Ontario at any time of the year that will be too warm for a drysuit. The key is to get something that you can adjust your thermal insulation easily. And especially if you're thinking of traveling with it, I would be leaning towards a shell suit like a trilam of some sort. So if you plan on diving more in Ontario than on just the odd occasion, a good drysuit would be a great investment. And I've traveled with my shell suit and it is easier than with a 7mm wetsuit. There's no significant weight difference and it dries quicker, folds up neatly.

What Warren said.

1. A good wetsuit will take you to 5 or 6 c easily. A wet suit glides throught the water easily, and the weight required is significantly less. A great way to begin diving.

2. Trilam suits or viking rubber are easy to transport (e.g. to Vancouver) but require significantly more weight depending on salt water concentration, and can result in significant squeeze. They are easy to repair....but if they flood...that's it.

3. A neoprene dry suit is a good compromise...but again you are looking at 30 lbs versus 16 to 18 with a wet suit. There is buoyancy in the event of a flood.

4. There are a number of people using drysuits...who have not enought experience and/or training with them. I personally favour building experience in a wet suit.

C

Some people get colder that others, and Tropical said that 50 degrees in a 7 mm wetsuit was not a great time. Why pay for a 7 mm wetsuit when it will be replaced by a drysuit?

I know I've seen people posting who think drysuit courses are a waste of money and time, but they certainly can be helpful if you learn better in a course-type setting.

I haul my trilaminate suit cost to coast no problem: it dries quickly in comparison to neoprene as has been said before.

Spend the money and go Dry if your primarily diving in Ontario or Canada for that matter your gonna end up in one eventualy .. May as well bite the bullet and go dry and get trained wright .

Some interesting points...BUT
1. A new diver has enough to worry about, without managing a drysuit.
2. Dry suits do occasionally inflate themselves or don't stop inflating. Dry suits can fail to purge air upon a slow ascent....such as swimming along a lake bottom to shore. Dry suits do occassionally rip and flood...which leaves the diver with zero insulation. ( I have accidentally ripped a suit...and the ensuing flood was numbing.)
3. Dry suits are great, and I use mine a lot. I own a trilam and a neoprene....I prefer the neoprene because it is less susceptible to ripping and squeeze. It also uses less air and weight. Wet suits are great in warmer water....and diving is about getting wet too.
4. An observation.....The dive industry makes more money from dry suit diving....both in courses fees and in the dry suit gear, weights etc.

So TROPICAL...consider building your skill in a wet suit ( you don't have a buy a new one ) and when you are ready, do the dry suit to extend your season if you desire.
Cheers
C

Honestly, I live in Florida, and I dive primarily a drysuit, nuff said.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom