Wetsuit Options - Seeking Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I prefer Xcel because I surf... I use it for both surfing and diving. My suit doesn't have a zipper and has sealed seams so it's extra toasty.

What you should look for is a snug but unrestrictive fit. You should have a full range of motion without any loose pockets around the armpits, neck, wrists, knees, and ankles. Look at the quality of the stitching, does it look like it will hold up? Thickness is an individual preference, mine is 3mm because anything more is too uncomfortable for Winter surfing in FL, so remember what thickness you've been renting and whether it has been warm enough.

Thank you all for your input and advice. I went and tried on the Henderson Hyperstretch, and by far it is the most comfortable. I am debating on a 3mm vs. a 5mm. Honestly, the 3mm felt more fitted and comfortable than the 5 mm (guess it is easy to overheat in a Dive Shop when trying on wetsuits &#61514:wink:. I am going to Maui in September, and want to be comfortable. When I was diving in Kona, Hawaii last year (GO BIG ISLAND DIVERS!), I did all my diving in a 3mm. During the multiple dives, which were part of my Advanced & Nitrox Certification, I was very comfortable in the 3mm. It was not until the tale end of the trip during the Manta Ray Night Dive, during which I started to feel cold. I figure that it was due to the multiple dives, and then being inactive during the Night Dive, as it was a beautiful show to watch! (Highly recommended)

So, I just wonder if I should go with a 3mm HH wetsuit, and wear a hood (most likely the Hyperstretch), vs. stepping up to the 5mm.

I am anxious for any additional insight. Anyone have Maui specific experience?

Thanks again!

Sea Girl

If you were diving without a hood on the last trip that would explain eventually getting cold. Adding a hood will be a big enhancement. Next step would be a hooded vest.

Sea Girl:
Thank you all for your input and advice. I went and tried on the Henderson Hyperstretch, and by far it is the most comfortable. I am debating on a 3mm vs. a 5mm. Honestly, the 3mm felt more fitted and comfortable than the 5 mm (guess it is easy to overheat in a Dive Shop when trying on wetsuits &#61514:wink:. I am going to Maui in September, and want to be comfortable. When I was diving in Kona, Hawaii last year (GO BIG ISLAND DIVERS!), I did all my diving in a 3mm. During the multiple dives, which were part of my Advanced & Nitrox Certification, I was very comfortable in the 3mm. It was not until the tale end of the trip during the Manta Ray Night Dive, during which I started to feel cold. I figure that it was due to the multiple dives, and then being inactive during the Night Dive, as it was a beautiful show to watch! (Highly recommended)

So, I just wonder if I should go with a 3mm HH wetsuit, and wear a hood (most likely the Hyperstretch), vs. stepping up to the 5mm.

I am anxious for any additional insight. Anyone have Maui specific experience?

Thanks again!

Sea Girl

I would get the 5mm. You aren't going to get too hot once in the water and it will make a difference. I find wearing just a 3mm suit, no hood, perfect for mulitday repetitive diving in temps above 82 degrees, but I will never again dive in 75 degree water in a 3mm without a hood-brrrr! I think that the 5mm is a good option and covers a larger range of water temps.

Back
Top Bottom