Wetsuit Options - Seeking Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sea Girl

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all helpful advisors! I am looking to purchase a new wetsuit…well, actually my first. I have typically rented during my dive trips, but am looking to do more diving, and figure it would be best to step up. I have tried on different types (ScubaPro, etc.), and wondered if there were specific brands that are tried and true, and others to avoid. I was looking at the BARE wetsuits, as it is a brand that is utilized by a dive operation that I am looking to dive with when in Maui (Ed Robinsons) in September.

Being a female, I have a tendency to get cold very easy (shocking, right?)…Well, I would rather be safe than sorry on the thickness, and am leaning toward the BARE 5/4 VELOCITY FULL (WOMEN'S)

http://www.bare-wetsuits.com/product_details.aspx?pid=002428&dept_id=59

I do not currently have a preference, and am interested in knowing if there are divers that are loyal to specific brands such as Henderson, ScubaPro, BARE, etc., and the particular reasons why they prefer their wetsuit. Oh yeah, I also have long nails, and want to make sure that the wetsuit is easy enough to get on.

I will leave it at that for now, and look forward to any and all input.

Thanks! :blinking:

I like Bare but I ended up buying an O'Neill Reactor 3/2 full and a 2mm shorty. The fit is perfect and the suits are comfy. I get cold very easy and I can dive in the 3/2 down to 75 degrees but if the air temperature is in the 70s than I freeze on the second dive. I'm talking dives 60-100 feet. After about 40 minutes I start shivering on the second dive.
If the water temp is above 80 degrees than I'm fine for hour long dives at any depth. I think you will be very comfy in a 5/4.

If your nails are really long you will have a little harder time putting on a 5mm but if you do it slowly they will probably be fine. Most of the fellow female divers I have met trim down their nails so I haven't seen anyone try to put on a wetsuit with long nails. But I would think that it can be done if you are patient. Which I am not :)

The only brand that I have ever read that doesn't hold up as long is EVO. But at those cheap prices you can afford to get one every year :)

If money is not an issue, try a Henderson Gold Core. I went diving in their semi-dry suit and fell in love with that lining. It's like stepping into silk. Expensive, though.

Harvey's

Sea Girl,

As you have probably read by now fit is almost everything in a wetsuit and the patterns vary by brand. That being said the best brand for you is the one that pops on like a second skin. With good fit and technique gymnastics should not be involved in donning and doffing. Bare has a huge size selection.

I happen to own a Bare Velocity 5/4 (2004) It's a nice suit that I have used mostly for skin-diving. The oportunities to scuba dive a 5/4 in Maine are limited though I may do so today in fresh water. The Velocity has the flip seals in the calves and forearms and that helps with flushing.

More often than not I wear my hooded vest with it and together it's a fantastic set. Usually it's the chicken vest shown here: http://www.bare-wetsuits.com/product_details.aspx?pid=003406&dept_id=65 The vest will mute the seepage from the back zipper and the integrated hood will virtually eliminate you neck opening as a source of water exchange.

The velocity is a combination of conventional and stetch material using each material where it works the best.

Pete

One of my divemasters and her buddy, both cold-natured gals dive Henderson Hyperstretch 7/5mm suits just about everywhere they go. They say that by the second, or third or fourth dive they're still warm with that suit, whereas they were always cold before. They prefer the hyperstretch because it is like putting on an old sweatshirt instead of a tire innertube, so they're always much more comfortable. My DM has a 5mm and wears it if the water and air temp are really warm. Henderson also has a fantastic warranty, which some people don't think about in a wetsuit but it is a great thing to have when you're buying something that's supposed to be "environmental protection". You'll want something thicker for the cold pacific diving, depending upon the number of dives, etc. I've been fitting wetsuits for 21 years, let me know if I can help you anymore. That's what we're here for. We carry 102 vendors, so there's always a choice.

Take a look at some of the articles we've written on choosing wetsuits:
http://www.crazyscuba.com/helpful_information_articles.cfm

You can call us toll-free or email us with any specific questions.

Britt
CrazyScuba.com :fish:

I dive with Ed Robinsons too!! :D On Maui, I always wear a 5mm full Henderson Hyperstretch suit. The water is too cold for me to be comfortable doing repetitive diving in less than a 5mm suit. I bought my Hyperstretch because I (literally) tried on every wetsuit in S. Florida after getting certified and couldn't find anything more comfortable than the Henderson. I have an a-typical female body in that I have broad shoulders, big boobs, a thick waist, very little hips, thighs and butt. Definitely NOT pear shaped in the least and I found most wetsuits were too tight in the chest, pulled in the shoulders, and bagged in the hips and thighs.

You really need to try on as many suits as you can get your hands on to know which one fits you best. If that doesn't work, another option (which I didn't know about before) is to get a custom suit from someone like Liquidfit. I probably would have gone with one of their custom suits in stretchy material had I known about them and will explore that route when I need a new suit.

I dive Henderson Hyperstretch, very cold natured and HATE being cold. I've never ended a dive because I was too hot, but many times because I'm too cold. Now I don't have to...I dive with a 7/5mm almost everywhere I dive. I use a Trilam as my base layer, it's just so cozy to dive in after the first dive because of the fuzzy stuff inside...:sappy:

I layer with my Trilam, 3mm and 5mm or Trilam and 7/5mm and 5mm core warmer (hyperstretch also) if I'm diving colder waters or on liveaboard, where I'm diving 5 or so times a day. My dive buddy dives a 7/5mm or a 7mm too. She's more cold natured than me! They fit me at www.crazyscuba.com, you can't beat their service and 21? years of fitting wetsuits. Also, with all those layers I can still move in the Hyperstretch. When I just wore my old Scubabpro Neoprene I could barely move or breathe, that isn't a problem with the HS, and weight change isn't a problem with HS either...:11:

Oh yeah, one VERY important thing is a Hood. It will really help keep you warmer. You should try a Hyperstretch hood. I won't wear anything else, of course. It's crazy, but it keeps me so much warmer. I do wear golves to because my hands get so cold, but they won't let me wear them everywhere due to Marine Park laws.

Any questions on staying warm and being comfortable, let me know, I've tried it all!!! Almost...

Oh yeah, the long nails thing...I like to get my nails done before going on a dive trip, and they're usually long (real, not fake). I don't have any problem getting my HS on with long nails. I woulda killed myself with other suits...I know, call me a pris. But my nails have to look good while I'm diving, don't they? :blinking:

C U underwater,
scubadivadivemaster :snorkel:

I'll put in another vote for Henderson Hyperstretch. I've been using a veriety of different rental suits and hated every single one. I've only dived with my Hyperstretch one weekend so far, but I love it. I got a 5mm fullsuit and then a 5/3 hooded vest. The hood does make a huge difference as far as warmth goes.

With wetsuits brand does not matter much. What does matter is the "fit" Each brand will be cut slightly differently so you need to find the one that fits you. For example, I fit into a Body Glove perfectly but no an O'Neil. But I'm sure with some one else it is the other way around. So there is no best brand.

Some suits are made with a softer kind of neoprene. These can fit better due to the extra "stretch" but the soft rubber compresses t depth and is not as warm. If you get one of these get it thicker one. The cheaper hard rubber can be warmmer if it fits well (notice the "if") but it really matters if you happen to be like the model the suit was cut for. Full custom suits can be made with a stiffer neoprene because being custom cut they do not have to depend of strech for a perfect ft. Expect to pay about $350 for custom but here is So Cal off the rack 3mm or 5mm suits are about $100 and you might pay $80 to have it "customized" to you shape. (They can open a seam and remove or add material)

About the thinkness. Where do you dive? What is the water temp? Here is So. Calif. water is in the 50's and everyone uses a 7mm suit. Must be warmmer where you are. If you get cold easy the first thing to do is get a good hood. a 7mm hood is very warm. I'm thinking of getting a custom hood next. I like the idea of being able to specifiy the colors and pattern in a custom.

Back
Top Bottom