Wetsuit mod question.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ghost95

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hello all, not sure if this should be under exposure suits or not. If so, mods please move.

So, what I want to do is add a patch to each bicep area in my wetsuit that will hold trilobite line cutters.

The patch will have a piece of Velcro on the outside to secure the strap on the trilobite that also has Velcro on it.

This patch would be closed on 3 sides and open on the end where you insert the tool.

Now, how should I attach this? Glue, stitch, glue and stitch? What glue? What kind of thread? What kind of stitch? Also, I've never stitched anything before.

Thanks for your answers.

Aqua seal glue.
I used it to put pockets on my wetsuit. It will never come off

How thick is the wetsuit? If it's 5mm or more you could run a few stitches through only the top half of the neoprene without going all the way through for some added security. If you are very deft you might be able to do it on 3mm. I have used Aqua Seal and my 35-40 year-old repairs are still good but I've never tried to glue anything together with it but racanichou seems to have faith in it for that.

Thanks for the tips. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Think I'll glue down the sides first and then stretch the suit and glue the bottom.

If this works out I'll probably have pockets everywhere.....

If it's 5mm or more you could run a few stitches through only the top half of the neoprene without going all the way through for some added security.

You can sew the outer layer of thinner suits if you are careful. Here is a pocket for a folding knife that is glued and sewn to my 3mm suit.

full.jpg

I like to coat sewn seams with wetsuit cement for longevity -- and to obscure by my lack of sewing skill. :)

Thanks for the pic. That's something like I'm wanting to do but just up on the bicep area of my arm so it's not in the way of computer straps and things.

What do you mean when you see the "outer layer" of the suit? Not pushing the needle all the way through the suit fabric? Why is that a big deal?

What do you mean when you see the "outer layer" of the suit?

By outer layer I mean the Nylon lining on the outside of the suit. Just use a locking whipstitch. You can stitch through the suit if you have internal Nylon lining too, but it compromises the comfort, especially when donning and doffing. None of my wetsuits have internal lining so that isn't an option.

Ok, thanks. All my suits are the nylon 2 sided fabric.

What do you mean when you see the "outer layer" of the suit? Not pushing the needle all the way through the suit fabric? Why is that a big deal?

The general idea is that if you sew all the way through the suit you will create a bunch of tiny leaks. This might not be a big deal on a 3mm suit in the tropics, but could make a difference in colder water.

Back
Top Bottom