Wetsuit layering?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

erich

Contributor
Reaction score
This is the plan. I will be in Maui soon and the water temp is about 72-74 degrees. I currently own a 3-2 mil jumpsuit. I know on extended dives that I will need more on my chest. I do not want to spring for a 5mil now so how about putting a 3 or 3-2 shorty underneath? I tried this on land and it seems comfortable besides having to adjust the two back zippers that bush into my back! I also experimented with putting one larger 3 mil over my 3-2 mil and it was ok, but a little restrictive at the knees and elbows. What are your thoughts and experiences. I am trying to keep my options open and frugal.

Erich

You should also consider a hood or beanie for colder water diving. You'll be surprised at how much heat is lost through the head.:boom:

I dive at 60 degrees water with my Scubapro 3 mm 1 pc and a 3mm hooded vest. No problem there.

In the summer, I use the same 3 mm for 75+ degrees.

layering makes a lot of sense. I think that a 3 mm 1 pc is a great basis.

Good luck with your decision.

Ari :)

Originally posted by erich
This is the plan. I will be in Maui soon and the water temp id about 72-74 degrees. I currently own a 3-2 mil jumpsuit. I know on extended dives that I will need more on my chest. I do not want to spring for a 5mil now so how about putting a 3 or 3-2 shorty underneath? I tried this on land and it seems comfortable besides having to adjust the two back zippers that bush into my back! I also experimented with putting one larger 3 mil ove my 3-2 mil and it was ok, but a little restrictive at the knees and elbows. What are your thoughts and experiences. I am trying to keep my options open and frugel.

We were in Cozumel recently and our divemaster looked like he had 3 layers of diveskins/wetsuits. Not sure what each one was.

Also, two divers that were with us brought their 3mm suits, but also added hooded vests underneath. It was the first time they tried that combo and they were very pleased with how it worked.

My husband, son and I were trying for the first time our new ScubaPro silverskin titanium .5mm compressed neoprene dive skins. The water temp in Cozumel is 78-80 F. We were all quite comfortable, even at the end of our second dive for the morning. Not too hot, but also not too cold.

I will go along with adding a hooded vest or a hood. You really need to get full coverage of your body first, including your head. Then if you still get to cold you can add thickness.

Remember to cover up or dry off during the surface interval. The cooling wind can really chill you more than you think.

If you are feeling hot and sweaty and looking forward to getting in the cool water when it is time for the next dive then you have it right.

Diving on successive days can add up a cold debt that can cause trouble. Try to get fully rewarmed each night. Don't trust *feeling* warm, you must get warm to the point of sweating to be sure that you are rewarmed.

BTW Commercial divers often have to deal with getting too warm. Inspections in the cooling water discharge piping of power plants is one problem area. Contaminated water diving where you need a dry suit for protection from pathogens/toxics in the water, even though the water is too warm for the dry suit is another.
In wetsuit diving we sometimes just stick a garden hose in the suit and tape it to the unbilical. This lets us keep the diver cool.
Drysuit diving in the heat calls for a cold water suit that goes over the outside of the drysuit and makes a small layer of colder water to keep the diver cool.

The exposure protection required may change every day depending on the work and the diver involved.

michael

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom