Wetsuit Layering

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

500 PSI

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I dive in cold waters since I dive frequently in Wisconsin. I determined that a method of layering can keep me warm and mobile, particularly on my legs for less restriced movement.

So I came up with the bright idea of using my father's old green fishing waiters as the under layer, below a pair of 5MM farmer john leggings, then I avoid using the heavier 7MM pants. It seems to actually work well, but looks real crazy! It also does not cover much of my upper body.

I believe this is a simple method of layering that works. Just use a rubber liner under a lighter neopreme wetsuit and you get excellent good cold water insulation providing good mobility and requires less dive weight.

Has anyone else ever tried this idea of layering or use some other type of warm liners with a wetsuit? Anyone have an idea where can I get a "divers type of light rubber liner" without looking real gay.

I would be little concerned with the waders filling up with water and changing my bouyancy. Be careful with that. Surf fishermen wear a belt so that if they get knocked off balance water cannot fill the waders and prevent them from surfacing. Oneill (maybe others as well) makes a 1mm neoprene skin that my son uses with good results for layering.

OK, there's somehting I'm not gtetting here..

You say you are wearing a pair of baggy old rubber fishing waiders UNDER a wet suit?

I've re-read your post several times and it clearly says the wet suit is going on OVER the waiders... Is that right?

How in the world can you pull a wet suit on over a pair of baggy rubber waiders?

If the wet suit is actually loose enough to pull on OVER a pair of waiders, then it's no wonder you are cold.

I've tried panty hose and long underwear but NEVER fishing waders. Yes, I'm laughing and I haven't even seen the pictures!!!

Milwaukee, the beer capital of the USA. :D
Anyone have an idea where can I get a "divers type of light rubber liner" without looking real gay.
I recommend really bad color choices, it'll make the "gay issue" a non-event.
But seriously :shakehead ... I used to add a hooded vest under my 1-piece suit when I dove in your area, it worked extremely well. It's way more common to add any extra layer to the torso.
If it works for ya, what the heck.

When the water is cold here in New England,...which is hardly ever,.. wink, wink, I wear a Henderson Gold Core 3 mil shorty under my Hyper-stretch 5mil. I've dove wet as low as 53 degrees in this setup without any problems! Just my 2 psi.

Steve

gregor1234:
If the wet suit is actually loose enough to pull on OVER a pair of waiders, then it's no wonder you are cold.

Yes that's exactly my thought on the idea also. The waders may act purely as a space filler between your wetsuit and your skin thus minimizing water movement into and out of the wetsuit which introduces new cold water that your body has to warm up again - which is why you then get cold.

But if the wetsuit is giving you enough space to pull over a pair of waders that tells me that there's way too much space between your body and the wetsuit to effectively minimize water movement and thereby control heat loss. I have a 5mm ScupaPro S-Tek full suit that I often combine with another 5mm S-Tek shorty with a hood over my full suit and even with this 10mm effective layering method I still have no problems with movement and certainly see a great improvement in staying warmer. Why a 7mm suit would be so cumbersome for you to start using a wader is beyond me.

That being said, I think it's a tad :arrow: but hey if it works for you gr8! :coffee:

DRY SUIT DRY SUIT DRY SUIT DRY SUIT DRY SUIT DRY SUIT.....waders ? Huh ? what ? Get a dry suit. You wana stay warm right ? Have a dry suit ! Stay warm ...you will not be sorry

Hmmmm....I'd like to see a phot of this.....especially with the cheesehead!

For cold water, 40 deg/f, I use a 7mm full suit and a 7mm hooded vest (Bare Arctic combo). This allows me up to 90 minutes without becoming too cold.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom