Wetsuit for Florida Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Wanderer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm a newbie and am interested in diving the Florida freshwater springs. I'm a big guy, ex-football jock type. What type, thickness, brand, etc. wetsuit would you recommend?

Any other tips?

Thanks.

5 mm Full Suit with a 5 mm hood just to be safe. 3mm gloves. 5-7 mm boots. A few can get away with a 3mm full suit here but I would rather be a bit on the warm side rather than the cold side providing you are well rested and well hydrated also. I'm looking myself at the Bare Velocity suit in this thickness at Leisure pro. I think it would be a good choice. Another suit that I would recommend is the BARE SGS 7mm (5MM if available). I would not recommend a 3mm suit unless divining in the tropics and then you'de get cold around the 3rd dive at depths of around 60 ft. Just keep well hydrated and don't worry too much about having to piss in the suit.

Did a class there a few months ago that entailed diving pretty much all day, every day for three days. I brought a 7mm and a 5mm hood, no gloves. I don't get cold very easily.

Would have been fine in a full 5mm the first day... and probably the first dive or so of the second day. By the end of the third day, though, I'd resolved to get a drysuit.

on your ability to retain heat. Your body size may go a long way in keeping your core warm.

I'm 6' about 185-190 and dove the springs in a 3mm fullsuit. The temp was 72° and after the second dive I was chilled. Maybe a 3mm with a hood or 5mm full, it all depends on your body.

I dive the Springs alot. Some of my dive partners are Big! 350 lbs, and some are thin 160 lbs. Most of us wear 3mm full suits, with hoods, or beanies. Some of the Big guys dive in shorts and T-shirts for up to 40 minutes in 72 degree water. Me, I'm 185 lbs. and get cold on the second dive with a 3mm farmer john and hood. But if you plan to dive extended time or more than 2 dives a day, I would think a 5mm would do. As for brand, it's a mixed lot. Neopren is pretty much the same regardless of brand. The new hyperstretch suits are a little different. If you're going to buy one of those I don't have experience in those to give advice. :ne_nau:

I agree with the above posts. 5mm is typically the minimal and with a light hood, and maybe a 7mm without a hood or gloves. That is what I did in the past and was fine for two dives plus a day, especially in the summer when you can warm up on the surface. But in the winter, even 72f is cold when the air isn't helping to warm you up. The next time I go to the springs it will be in a dry suit! From now on, if I can't use a 3mm full, the dry suit will be my next option when convenient. Have fun!

Thanks everyone.

I've looked at an Akona brand that makes a 4XL. Has anyone used that brand or know about the company?

Im 5-9 and 160lbs, and I have several wetsuits, because I love to mix and match, since I mostly dive the Florida springs and a nice, clear freshwater lake here in my home state, which I dive, snorkel also. The temp in the springs and lake I snorkel/dive are anywhere from 68-72 degrees. I have a Henderson 3m JS, a Henderson 5m JS, a Henderson shorty 3m front zip, a Henderson shorty 5m front zip long sleeve, and a Henderson 1.5m JS. I mix and match and layer all of these according to the situation. I also have a Henderson 3m vest I use also. When my torso is covered, Im usually fine. For the springs, I mostly layer the 1.5m with the 3m shorty, and Im fine. Sometimes I use the 5m long sleeve shorty or one of the JS the 3 or the 5, and use a shorty(layer) accordingly. Lets just say I have options, and want it no other way.

I'm 5' 10" 148 lb, low body fat, and get cold very easily (I use a 5mm full suit in the Caribbean). Have done a couple of dives each in Ginnie, Manatee, and Grotto, and I stayed very warm in a 5mm full suit, hood and boots.

I was just there a couple of weeks ago. I use a 3/2 mil with 3 mill hood. It's a little cool when you first get in, but it warms up and was comfortable.
I also use a Bare Velocity and love it. It's has more stretch to it than a normal suit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom