Wetsuit for Cozumel in mid-March?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmm that is still shortie temps for me. But I'll be bringing my 5mm full for the cenotes, so I will always have that option.

I'm currently in High Springs, the water temps are going to be higher than the air temps. That Dry Suit catalog is looking awfully inviting.

I plan mid-March spring break dive trips rotating between Grand Cayman and Cozumel. (My dive buddy is my son who's in HS). I have found that a 3mm full back-zip Henderson works just fine for 5-7 days of 2-tank dives and a night dive. I wear the 2mm tropic beanie as well. On occasion, especially on non-drift dives in Grand Cayman, I will be just fine with no wetsuit at all. I have a "natural" thermal liner so I am sure that helps. For SI and the travel between dive sites on fast boats I will throw a windbreaker on if I start to get chilled.

Last week of February, did 5 x 2 tank dives in a 3mm full suit. Water temps were all recorded at 80 - 81.

I thought it was fine.

I dove in Feb. all i wore was bathing suit and thin rash guard (basically T shirt0). i was totally fine. dove to 88-90 feet and was not cold. but everyone is different.

Great informative thread! I’m also going to Cozumel mid-March and still on the fence on selecting which wetsuit to take.

My options are a 5mm full back zip suit or a layered approach. The layered approach would start with a Lycra long sleeve top, then a 2mm sleeveless vest, then a 1.5mm Henderson full suit and topped off with neoprene cap (SCAP). I haven’t tried this layered approach combo in the water yet and wonder if anyone might share their experiences and opinions on how these two suit options might compare and be suitable for my mid-March Cozumel trip.

Thanks in advance for any and all comments!

In my opinion go with the full 5MM. Layering yourself like cake is still only going to give you 3.5MM over your core and 1.5MM over your extremities. I could see that approach in the summer months with water temps in the mid/upper 80's and topside temps that feel like being in a steam oven but not mid-March. You can kind of view your extremities as big radiators your blood flows through, losing heat that gets pumped back into your core. One's head is the greatest loser of heat as the scalp is LOADED with blood vesicles to keep the brain warm. That is why a full hood or even a tropic beanie makes such a huge difference and you have that covered. 5MM all the way with the beanie and if you by some odd chance feel hot UW, shed the beanie stick it a BC pocket or stuff it down inside the neck of your full suit or up one of the sleeves and you'll cool off in no time.

I'm in Coz as I write this. Our dive today had ocean temps 80-81°. I wore a 3mm and was very comfortable. I was a tad warm between dives and I pulled-down the top of the wetsuit to cool down.

Asking what to wear for thermal protection is like asking "how long is a rope?".

We just returned yesterday from Coz. I dove with a full 3 mil suit and Thermocline hooded vest. Diving steel 120's and froze the second dive every day. My son / dive buddy wore a rash guard and bathing suit for the same 9 straight days of diving and had no issues.

Edit: Water temperatures ranged from 79 to 81 over 9 days

:)
Asking what to wear for thermal protection is like asking "how long is a rope?".

We just returned yesterday from Coz. I dove with a full 3 mil suit and Thermocline hooded vest. Diving steel 120's and froze the second dive every day. My son / dive buddy wore a rash guard and bathing suit for the same 9 straight days of diving and had no issues.

Edit: Water temperatures ranged from 79 to 81 over 9 days
And another lady diver and I were wearing our matching 7mm BAREs with 3mm hooded vest! You probably noticed that we were NOT freezing!

Just returned from Cozumel ... Week of 26 Oct thru 1 Nov 2019. Just in case anyone else looks to SCUBA Board for Water temperatures... Water temp at depths from 20 feet to 70 feet were between 82-85 degrees. Me and dive buddy were very comfortable in 2.5 & 3 mm shorties. Just throwing out for information. Also here is a great website for water temps around the globe: https://seatemperature.info/

Enjoy . Dive to Live and Live to Dive!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom