Wetsuit for cold water diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sayang

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Is it completely crazy to attempt to dive in a wetsuit in cold(freezing) water. I can't afford a drysuit and I need to get in some dives a.s.a.p. to meet my divemaster requirements.

I don't mind being somewhat uncomfortable but I don't want to put myself in danger or anything...

Any advice is welcome.

It probably depends on what type and thickness of wetsuit you currently have.
Here's an old post about one diver's experience with his Pinnacle Polar Semi-dry suit. It might give you a starting reference for what you might expect from a 7mm wetsuit.
Pinnacle Polar first impressions. [Archive] - ScubaBoard

I would imagine that no matter what...if you're diving in cold water wearing a wetsuit (any thickness) you'd want one of those Otter Bay 12mm hoods.

-Mitch

How cold is the water?

That's a good start. Thank you. I don't have a thick enough wetsuit but $700-1000 for a good 7mm wetsuit is MUCH more manageable than twice that much for a drysuit (I'm short and curvy...so tack on a bunch for alterations too).

Does anyone have any comments on layering? Like a vest on top? Would that help?

The thick hood sounds like a good idea. Someone also mentioned layering gloves.

It possible, try priming the suit with hot water just before entering the water. We use a thermos with hot wter to pour down the suit for guys ice diving wet.

Yeah it's comon practice here for cold water diving. though with $1000 to spend you should be able to find a Drysuit. Look for the Bare Next-Gen or Scubapro Everdry4, they should be at or near the $1000 price mark and fairly available in MTL.

It possible, try priming the suit with hot water just before entering the water. We use a thermos with hot wter to pour down the suit for guys ice diving wet.

The Bare Next gen is available BUT the alterations will drive the cost up. From what I understand, the alterations for a wetsuit are cheaper? And I can get a 7mm for abut 500 on special.

I was looking for other options...but the general opinion does seem to favour the drysuit.

I've read up a bit now on 'priming'...thanks for the suggestion!!

Back
Top Bottom