Wetsuit fit?!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rti1000

Reaction score
I'm new to scuba... really new.. i'll have my C-Card soon :>) but in the meantime i got a henderson microprene .5mm skin as a gift from a family member.. my question is how tight should it be?.. it has some wrinkles around my joints(elbows,knees ect and depinding on how i sit or stand a little "loose" in the abdomen. is this normal? or do i have a size too big?

Andy

really skinny, then there may be some "slack" in the joints and midsection... not much but some. The most important fit is along the wrists, ankles and neck where it needs to be snug without cutting off circulation.

Can you go and try on a smaller size and compare them? Another option is to go diving in it (once you're certified, obviously). If you don't get cold, it fits well enough :). Kind of hard to exchange it once you've done that, though.

the seals seem to fit ok .. i'll have to find out when i get underwater though ... it just seemed a little "loose" in the abdomen.. i guess i was expecting the whole thing to fit like a pair of cycling pants..(why do they call them a pair when there is only 1?? ) It's nice to see an OA member around once in a while though:>) thanks NETDOC

Andy

Rti1000 said...
I guess i was expecting the whole thing to fit like a pair of cycling pants.

Ideally a skin should fit like... well, skin. In reality it depends whether you're the same shape as the imaginary customer that the manufacturer is designing for. If you're mostly wearing it for protection from jellyfish, a few wrinkles won't matter. If you're wearing it for warmth... well, no point talking to me, I need a lot more than a 0.5mm skin to stay warm, even in tropical waters!

Zept

Yes, the "bike pants" fit is what you want -- not loose, but not tight so that you can't move. If it is too lose, you'll be carrying around water and pumping it in and out those "seals" every time you bend. I know from experience that chills you pretty quickly. Then again, a 1/2 mm suit isn't much insulation anyways, so I'm guessing you're diving in relatively warm water (compared to what you'd be comfortable in with just a swim suit).

Herderson is the only off-the-rack suit that comes close to fitting me, being 5'9" but with a 29" waist. With 2-3% body fat, I need all the help I can get and taking the time to find a suit that fits right makes a big difference. Its still not-quite form-fitting through the waist, but certainly no wrinkles or sags, just 1 cm or less of gap along the spine.

I'd see if the next-smaller size fits you. Shoot -- you'll look better in it at the bar after the dive too!

Henderson Hyperstretch . I am of odd shape . No butt , pot belly , skinny legs . I have had many wet suits , even custom fit , but my main wet suits are now Hyperstretch . I have 3mm. - 5mm. - 7/5mm. - 7mm. . I weigh 225lbs. , 5'7" . An xl or xxl fit me , xxl in the heavy . Example . Someone weighing 225 , an xl will fit that person being 5'7" to 6' tall . They stretch 250% every way . They conform to fit anyone . I know because I have seen them fit fellow Odd sized , And every thing in between .. Mad Dog 7 ..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom