Wetsuit Decisions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sixxshot

New
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have a quick question for my first post.

I have never been diving, and I am taking a basic scuba diving course in about a month. I thought it would be beneficial to frequent some scuba forums to get a better feel for the scuba environment... if that makes sense. Anyway, if I enjoy diving as much as I think I will (a lot), then the first purchase I'd like to make is a quality wetsuit. What companies do you guys recommend? I know that the suit itself is a personel preference... but do any companies have a bad reputation compared to others, ect? Also, when a wetsuit's thickness is listed as "3/2mm" what does this mean? Is it 1.5mm thick, or is the top 3mm and the bottom 2mm? Thanks.

All of this depends. Where do you live? Where will you dive? Vacation diving?

BTW-welcome to the "board." You might want to say hello in the Introductions and Greets section.

Mike

Welcome!

OK, first the easy part... a 3/2 suit is one that's 3mm thick in the body, to minimize core heat loss; and 2mm thick in the arms and legs, to maintain flexibility.

What thickness you'll need where you'll be diving is an extermely personal decision. I'm perfectly comfortable with 2mm less thickness than most other folks around me.

Unfortunately, the big problem in using a rental suit for your open-water course is that it can be tough to find a good fit -- tight enough to prevent water exchange, particularly through the arms and neck; while not so tight to restrict blood circulation. Not a big problem in the pool, but can be during your OW dives. If you do find a rental suit during your course that's good, make sure you "claim" it for the duration... and maybe continue to rent it afterwards.

(I ain't even touching the issue of other folks peeing in their (rental) wetsuits.)

When you're ready to start buying equipment, which will come real quick if you like diving, then you run into the budget -vs.-what-do-I buy-first dilemma. And if you average out everybody's recommendations, everything is Priority One.

So unless you're swimming in money, you'll have to make some quality compromises. (And if you are swimming in money, unfortunately a lot of shops will see you coming and try to sell you equipment you don't need or even want.)

Fortunately, if you get a good fit, a wetsuit that's good enough is, well, good enough. Certainly for now.

But budget-price wetsuits are hard to find locally. Two brands that come to mind are ScubaMax, and the stock sizes from Triple-L (now ScubaL) -- the latter only available mail-order. There are others.

For mail order, you have to make sure to study the size charts and measure carefully. And make sure they have a good exchange policy.

If you do have the bucks, then the name brands carried by your local shop would work... the features, finish, and hardware may be better; so would the warranty; and you'd hopefully have good advice as to model and fit. Just keep in mind that the prices for, like, 3mm suits between budget brands and top-of-the-line name brands can run from $85 up to $400 or more. If you're buying your other no. 1 priority items at the same time, like regulator, gauges, and BC, it starts adding up. Again, everything's a trade-off.

--Marek

Thickness will depend on where you dive. You may end up with several wetsuits. Akona make a good inexpensive suit. I have two a 6.5mm farmer jon and a 3mm full suit.

Sixxshot:
. What companies do you guys recommend?
I recommend Akona, Henderson, Cressi, & XS Scuba. Look for the Hyperstretch or something stretch, it makes donning A LOT easier!
Also, when a wetsuit's thickness is listed as "3/2mm" what does this mean? Is it 1.5mm thick, or is the top 3mm and the bottom 2mm? Thanks.
As others have said, the 1st number (3mm in this example) is for the core, whereas the 2mm is for the extremities (arms & legs). This is pretty standard in most suits, however you can purchase some great full 7mm suits for colder diving that are flexible enough to provide mobility, thus negating the need to lighten up the thickness in the arms and legs. The Akona 7mm suit is a great one for that. I've also recently tried the 5mm Cressi comfort suit.... wonderful!

Also you need to know where you'll be diving. The ideal situation would be to have 2 suits 3 tops for all your diving needs. A good 3/2mm and a 7mm would be my choice. And for the in between thickness you can always layer your 3/2mm with a hooded vest and be perfectly comfortable. Anyway, good luck!

Another company to look at is Bare. I have both a 3/2 from them and a 7/6 and they are phenomenal suits.

Cheers.

-J.-

Sixxshot:
Hello everyone, I have a quick question for my first post.

... Anyway, if I enjoy diving as much as I think I will (a lot), then the first purchase I'd like to make is a quality wetsuit. What companies do you guys recommend? ...

You ask about quality...Henderson suits have good reputations and they make a good suit. Scubapro suits are very well made also. (Not to suggest they are the only quality suits, but they are know for their quality.) Not many complain much about either. Henderson's don't have zippers generally, but they can be added. Scubapro has zippers in the arms and legs for the thicker suits.

All wet suits are going to wear. Compression from pressure is a factor. I replaced a 5mm when the legs/crotch area got worn and thin making it cold to dive. This is not an area that you want to be thin. So, quality is nice, but wetsuits don't last forever. The best quality you want is that it fits.

Others have made comments about the thickness issue. Since you didn't fill out your profile, we don't have much to go on about the type of diving you are thinking about doing. One thing to consider is that a moderate suit thickness 5mm can be augmented with a hooded vest to make it warmer. (Of course you can do it with any thickness). I use that approach and dive wear many are using a 7mm. Then, on other dives, I can leave the hooded vest off. On the other hand if you are diving either real cold or real warm you might want a 7mm and a 3mm.

Jim

A 3/5 wetsuit means the arms and legs are 3mm and the body is 5mm. Locally we all use 7mm.

As for brand what really matters is the fit. Fit is everytrhing. You want no space between you and the suit but not so tight that it is hard to get on and off. It's just like with running shoes. You might ask if New Balance is any good but you can't buy without trying it on and it don't matter how good the brand is if it don't fit you.

One way to improve fit is to use a very soft neoprene that stretches. It goes under brand names like "hyper strech" but really all it is more gass bubles and less neoprene. These suites are comfortable but (1) the soft rubber dowes not last as long and (2) it compresses at depth faster then the hard rubber material. (3) it costs more.

Don't treat this as a lifetime investment of all the gear you buy wetsuits wear out the quickest. Figure 250 dives maximum from one suit or five years in a closet. After either of those limits it's time to replace it.

The best wetsuits are the custom made ones cost $350 to $375. Locally here in So Cal we can buy good 7mm suits on sale for under $200 and 3/5mm suits for about $100

So what do you get? Depends on where you live and the local water temps and you body size and shape. It also matters if you plan on diving frequently or if you'll only be diving one a month or so.

Thanks for all the responses! I live in central Texas, so I would most commonly be diving in Lake Travis (peaks about 85 degrees in the summer, 70 in the spring and fall). I didn't mention that because the thickness question will only be answered after my upcoming course. I'll probably end up getting a 3mm suit.. but I have a really low fat percentage (6.5-7) so I may need a thicker one... only time will tell! Thanks for the help.

Back
Top Bottom