Wetsuit Booties under Drysuit socks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MrAC1980

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello all, I just used my new Pinnacle Freedom drysuit for the first time and have a quick question. It comes with neoprene socks installed which are a bit too big. Messing around with my gear I tried putting on my old neoprene wetsuit booties underneath the drysuit socks, and the fit was much better. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Anyone else do this? I don't really think I have a need to use rock boots or other shoes since I only do boat diving.

My socks are also a bit big. I use one size large bootie over the socks and still use the same size fins. The other alternative is to have the correct size socks/booties fitted ($$$). I would not use booties inside the suit as it might cause damage IMO.

I don't think drysuit socks were meant to be tread on. Your drysuit might not stay dry for very long.

Hanlol, I have that problem being taken care of by using the Tread Tex and Shoe Goo method. Search for it on this site and you'll find out what I'm talking about. Just now trying to think what the best option I have inside is. Might just try a few different things until I'm comfortable with what works and feels best.

I am a firm believer that if it does not work, fix it as it was intended and move on (refraining from any MacGyver solutions). Having the proper size boots installed may cost more but at least that way everything is as it should be. This is the problem with used (I can only imagine that these are fit wrong because the suit was bought used otherwise the LDS is not too bright)......people try to make things work by adding or removing items that should or should not be there.

What about a pair of lace up boots-- like the bare trek boot.. I have booties that run a bit big-- but when i put them in my trek boot-- i lace it up and everything fits nice and snug..

The suit was bought brand new, but it is an "off the shelf" suit and was not customized at all. The booties aren't too big, i'm a size 9 shoe and the booties are maybe like a size 10. When I slip on the suit while wearing my wetsuit booties, its a snug fit. Was really just wondering if wearing wetsuit booties inside the suit was something people did. Will probably end up getting the Fourth Element Arctic Socks or some combo insulated socks and call it a day.

AC,

I have a medium Freedom 2 and am a size 9 foot just like you. You can probably get away with wearing the wet suit boots but it doesn't sound that comfortable. Anyway, I wear 2 pair of Smartwool socks and size 11 Chuck Taylors to protect the drysuit socks. My fins are XL OMS Slipstreams. XL SP Jets' foot pockets were just a bit too small for the Chuck Taylors. I ended up with this configuration after a little bit of experimentation. And it's very comfortable.

boat

Thanks Boat, I tested the suit with a pair of plain thick wool socks and Large SP Twin Jets and their was plenty of room. I plan to line the bottom of the sole with Shoe Goo and Tread Trex mixture and Fourth Element Arctic socks and maybe a base layer sock or thicker insulated oversock. The shop I bought the suit said they'll change out the soles for free if needed, but i don't like the heavy soles found on the other Pinnacle Evolution suit. I'd love to get the turbo soles found on the DUI suits.

AC,

One other thing about using the Chuck Taylors: They are VERY secure on your feet. I've read here quite often about people having issues with their boots popping off their feet, air getting in their boots, etc. I've never had any issues like that whatsoever. Whatever works best for you is what matters though. Keep us posted - it's good to hear about different gear configurations.

Back
Top Bottom