Wetsuit big in the wrist

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mullannix930

Contributor
Reaction score
I recently bought a 5mm Farmer John from TommyD. I actualy had to send it back and go 2 sizes down. The suit I have fits great except in the wrists. I have a small gap in the wrist between my skin and the suit. I can't go any smaller (I wouldn't be able to breath) but the gap lets cold water in like crazy. What are my options? Is there a band that I can use, or just put my gloves under the suit or what?

HELP!!!

I would go to the store and buy a couple of velcro watch straps. Put those around your wrists and see if that helps. You won't always want to wear gloves but if it helps then stuff your gloves in too.

I've used an elastic or velcro band on a 1mm suit with loose wrists, but I don't know if that would work on 5mm. If you wrap your hand or something around it can you cinch it down pretty smoothly? If so it's not hard to come up with some kind of band, just a piece of double sided velcro would do.

As far as your gloves, well put them under or over, whichever you're not doing, and see if it helps. Gloves that go over the sleeve might work better, like a gauntlet style glove that has a wrist strap built in to cinch them down.

Maybe you could cut out a little wedge of excess material and glue with wetsuit cement and maybe also sew the fabric edges together, but you'd want to do a good job of it so it doesn't come apart. Find a friend who's handy at that kind of stuff if you aren't. You can get suits altered, but for an inexpensive suit I doubt it's worth it.

Patterns do vary across brands so getting away from TommyD may help.

Damselfish had a slew of good ideas. Gauntlet gloves rule.

If you have any sleeve length to spare you may be able to roll a few inches back under the suit to sbug things up.

Pete

I recently bought a 5mm Farmer John from TommyD. I actualy had to send it back and go 2 sizes down. The suit I have fits great except in the wrists. I have a small gap in the wrist between my skin and the suit. I can't go any smaller (I wouldn't be able to breath) but the gap lets cold water in like crazy. What are my options? Is there a band that I can use, or just put my gloves under the suit or what?

HELP!!!
Start doing a lot of weight training focused on your forearms and wrists!

I agree witht the velcro ideas

another option is to find a place that will alter it for you. i know you probably have some closer, but there is place called Terrapin Wetsuits that does a great job here in Texas

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom