Wetsuit and weight gain

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ljwillia

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Good Morning-

I bought a 5mm Henderson thermoprene 2 years ago. I'm 53 and my weight seems to go in only one direction these days, up! I've gained about 10 pounds in the past two years. Rather than lying nicely along the curve of my back, it now stands out from the middle/lowere back. I'm resisting buying a new suit. Probably for the same reason women resist buying larger clothes. But we're going to Cozumel in three weeks and I don't want to be cold. I don't really want to rent a suit.

So, will my BC and tank cinch the suit in enough to stay warm or do I need to consider a new suit?

Thanks for your help on a rather embarrassing topic!

Hey man no worries, we all have the same issue. I'd suggest that instead of buying a new suit, buy a lavacore vest that will take care of your core. I found that the lavacore garments work great for added warmth under the suit. This will save you the need to buy another suit. HTH

Im guessing a 5mm for cozumel might be a bit much could always pick up a 3mm if your a cold person for around $100.

Im guessing a 5mm for cozumel might be a bit much could always pick up a 3mm if your a cold person for around $100.

I'm with MrPfeffer: 5mm is waaaay too much neoprene for Coz. Not only will it be too buoyant, but it'll be hotter n' Hades.

There are definitely some 2-3mms around that would do nicely & be reasonably priced.

Cozumel can't be that much hotter than Akumal and we dove in 5mm at the end of last month and was perfect, not hot and not cold either

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom