Wetsuit advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flyingvisit

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all - I'm new to diving - just introduced myself the other day on the introductions thread.

One question I had was regarding wetsuits for "heavier" people. They're always made so you're six foot tall as well!!!

Now, kindly, my thread was misread in that I was complaining that the wetsuits in the US are bigger - but sadly thats not quite what I was getting at... see, I AM one of the heavier people... I'm also average sort of height - say about 5'8'' ish.

Now, my problem is finding a wetsuit that will fit me - I tried on a 3mm Bodyglove XL in both shorty and full at the weekend, and neither fit :depressed: I could go custom, but I need a wetsuit for a dive in saltwater next weekend, so I'm starting to get a bit distraught. (Fortunately my OW qualification dives were in Florida freshwater locations, so it was pretty reasonable water temp for me).

Now add to that, I need it to be useful in more places than just Florida. I live in the UK and would like to do some diving at home, and I also move around a bit for work, so would like it to be durable enough for most locations. (I "may" be headed to Texas in the not too distant future, so it would have to be ok for most diving there at a bare minimum).

Add to that I'm a shy sort, and don't feel super confident trying wetsuits on in public. Probably because I fear the Japanese will arrive with harpoons, or Greenpeace will try and push me back into the ocean... I did go to the bigger stores (sports authority etc) to see if I could try on wetsuits there, with the aim of going back to my LDS to purchase it there (they trained me, they deserve the money in my opinion!) Any advice people?

I'm not gonna comment on the size.
But there is just no wetsuit that you can use in the north of europe and in the south of the us of a.
You might want to think drysuit,shell type,and just change the undergarment when moving around.

hope it helps (a bit)

flyingvisit - I'm probably a similar shape to you - 5'9" about 240. I haven't had much issue with shorties, but with full suits, you definitely want to find a line that makes a "short" version. I have a Aqualung Aquaflex 3mm full suit which is an XL-Short. Fits great and has a lot of stretch. When I went for a 7mm, I ended up in a Pinnacle Elastiprene XXL-Short. Pinnacle has been known to run a bit small, so I wasn't surprised by needed a larger size. For the 7mm I tried on suits from about a half dozen manufacturers. Typically the shops didn't have a short size in stock, but the Pinnacle had the features I liked and the shop would get it with no obligation for me. They actually got three different suits for me, and the other two already sold.

Good luck.

Look around for a Henderson dealer, and check out their Hyperstretch wetsuits (Henderson USA - Hyperstretch). Sounds like just the ticket for you. In addition to the stretchy material accomodating divers of all shapes and sizes, it also makes donning and doffing one's wetsuit much easier (especially thicker suits). Hell, I've practically seen folks throw the suit into the air, make a little jump, and return to the ground fully suited up!

Thanks Vinergarbiscuit and parzdiver - I'll have a look at the ones you have advised!! I'm grateful for the advice while I'm still a novice!!

I'm not sure about drysuits yet 300bar - only just qualified OW, but I'm headed to a local dive shop/club when I get back home next month and they did mention that I might need more training/equipment. I'm assuming they mean drysuit diving in the UK?

Mind you, the wetsuit is more important at the moment - as I'm more often than not in the US!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom