wet suits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kewkeb

New
Reaction score
my wife and i are new to scuba and are about to do a padi course but I have a problem. My wife is woman of large proportions and is worried about wearing a wet suit and that one will fit her. She is about 5'4" and about 220lbs - could this be a problem?

replys espically welcome from women :)

regards and safe diving to all

Colin

kewkeb:
my wife and i are new to scuba and are about to do a padi course but I have a problem. My wife is woman of large proportions and is worried about wearing a wet suit and that one will fit her. She is about 5'4" and about 220lbs - could this be a problem?

Colin

Assuming that she's in good physical health please tell her to set her concerns assiide. She need not be concerned about wearing a wetsuit, she's taking a bold step into a realm that most only get to dream of. Many people of all proportions are concerned or insecure when they first don and get out in public in a wetsuit. The sensation is unique especially when you experience what the protection will let you experience. My wife is of similar proportions and in over 75 dives has never experienced an unkind word. Folks are more intersted in what we saw and if the suits really keep us warm.

Her solution should be a custom suit and that will cost slightly more than an off the shelf item. If at all possible find a custom maker in your region. Ideally she will be measured and fit by the maker. In some cases makers have dealers and getting a local dealer to do the measurements is the next best option. If all else fails you can do your own measurements at home and if you're careful this can work out fine. I would caution you against dealers that may try to get her in to a "super stretch" sort of suit. It needs to fit, period.

My wife's latest suit came from:
http://atlaninc.com/default.html

Go for it and have fun!

Pete
(gear steward for my wife)

Please put your concerns aside. Welcome to a world of activity. Try Scubatoys. They can be very helpful.

XS scuba and henderson make a 3XL wet suit.

We aren't here to make fun of anyone that is not muscle bound, we are here to dive.

I also really like Bare Wetsuits:

http://www.bare-wetsuits.com/bareshop/dive.asp

They have a much larger size range to choose from than most, and you can get a "near custom" fit.

kewkeb:

Colin

crpntr133:
XS scuba and henderson make a 3XL wet suit.

She's 5'-4"

Sounds like she might need a custom wet suit.

Give Carolyn at Liquid Fit a call. She does wonderful custom wetsuits. She will be very helpful with your wife. I just can't praise her enough. www.liquidfit.com

Back
Top Bottom