Wet suits and dry suits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

However, Ive never used a drysuit, so maybe I don't know what Im missing.

Im mainly a Monterey/Carmel diver, where its cold enough that a drysuit is def. a consideration. In fact, Ive heard many folks say that they cant dive a wetsuit here.

I started with a wetsuit mainly because of lack of funds. I mean, its still a big reason I don't get a drysuit.

But also, it just seems like an added hassle. 1) Now you have to control the drysuit bubble too; 2) make sure your feet don't ascend; 3) peeing is now complicated; 4) leaks, etc etc.

Even if I had the $$$, I dont know if Id go drysuit.
You don't have to control a bubble if you use your BC as it's designed. It compensates for buoyancy. A drysuit keeps you dry. Don't use a drysuit for buoyancy and you won't have that issue. Your feet won't ascend if you use your BC for buoyancy. Pee before you get in the water. If you can't go an hour or so without peeing get a pee valve or Depends. Leaks do happen but most are easily fixed. You can often find used drysuits on Ebay or Craig's List cheaper than a new wetsuit.

This thread has taken an interesting turn....

Anyways, an initial point has been ignored wetsuit v. drysuit diving. Marie expressed some of the benefits of wetsuit v. drysuit -- easier, less lead, etc. Its of interest to me, bc Im a wetsuit diver in a cold environment, and I think I agree with all those reasons. However, Ive never used a drysuit, so maybe I don't know what Im missing.

Im mainly a Monterey/Carmel diver, where its cold enough that a drysuit is def. a consideration. In fact, Ive heard many folks say that they cant dive a wetsuit here.

I started with a wetsuit mainly because of lack of funds. I mean, its still a big reason I don't get a drysuit.

But also, it just seems like an added hassle. 1) Now you have to control the drysuit bubble too; 2) make sure your feet don't ascend; 3) peeing is now complicated; 4) leaks, etc etc.

Even if I had the $$$, I dont know if Id go drysuit. I may be a special case. Im very cold tolerant and I have a good 8/7 mm wetsuit w attached hood. I sometimes get cold on long dives, but nothing I cant handle.

Perhaps the biggest drawback is that if its really cold outside -- generally only Jan & Feb -- that will prevent me from diving.

I may start a thread later re temperate water divers that prefer wetsuits. I wonder if there are any folks like me who prefer wetsuits.

Yeah, let's get back on point.....I prefer to pee in my wetsuit.

Marie, I've noticed a trend in your threads. You asked about octo holders that actually work and when several people replied about the simplicity of a necklace your reply was Um...no! Other times you said some people have thick heads and don't get it. On this thread you resorted to profanity and insults. This isn't Facebook. Scubaboard is more family oriented and you really should keep that in mind as you type.
As a new diver you understandably don't know all there is to know yet. Hundreds of posters on Scubaboard freely give advice based on years of experience and gained knowledge. It might serve you well to think about advice you've been given before you type venomous replies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow that is awesome, you are so lucky to be ok wearing a wetsuit in those temps! I'm so wussy that I wore a 5mm in Truk Lagoon. I'm diving in the Great Lakes in July and I will for sure be wearing my drysuit. I'm jealous

Deleted

Last edited:
Nobody has to go with anything. You asked about a gear configuration that worked and got replies. You could still clip off a bungeed second to a D-ring during the class. I would first explain to your instructor the advantages of primary donate and backup bungee but would clip it if he/she insisted. Once out of the class I would dive it correctly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom