wet suit with dry-suit zippers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beni

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello guys!

I'm in the process of getting my first wet-suit, that will be used mainly in lakes and in the Adriatic Sea.

I came across a very cool looking Hollis 7mm semy-dry suit with diagonal back zippers and 2 pockets. The price is double compared to regular bare wetsuit, but since it has 2 pockets already (and it looks very cool, etc) I'm still considering to buy it.

I haven't tried it on yet, because the guy at the dive shop didn't recommend it but now I'm having second thoughts.

My main concerns are:
1. diagonal dry suit zippers - probably requires buddy to close/open
2. I would definitely want to have pockets on my suit, but wouldn't that interfere with wearing another layer of thermal protection (shorty for example?)

I need your advice guys! Should I consider getting one or should I just forget it and go with a regular 7mm suit and glue pockets on that one. Thanks!

p_wetsuits_sd07_back1.jpg

p_wetsuits_sd07_1.jpg

Last edited:
As far as I know it's only available in Europe (from what I've heard it's because US market for semy dry is very low).

Eventually (in the near future) I will definitely want a dry suit, but I feel like starting with a wet suit would be more appropriate, but maybe that is just a biased preconception from my part. Anyways: I like to get wet if the water temperature allows it :)

Thanks for the tip on the dry suits though. They look pretty nice for a very good price but I would hate to order something like that from the internet without trying it on first. I've seen an oceanic dry suit at a very good price at my LDS, so I will probably go with that one once I feel ready for it ^_^

Europeans lol... I meant that in a good way :D!

I rather be dry then wet but here in Asian I want to be cool not hot.

SangP

Those types of suits tend to be very difficult to get in and out of but they are warmer than a "standard zip" suit. They are also a lot more difficult to "open up" to cool off if you're getting warm, which may or may not be a consideration for you. I don't personally like them, but I know people who do.

I assume the velcro is for some sort of zipper cover or hood to velcro onto the back/arms of the suit?

And like Jim mentioned, layering can be done underneath if you want to be able to access those integrated pockets.

It looks like the suit comes with pockets. If you wanted to add an additional layer you'd just put it underneath the suit.

I assumed wearing a layer underneath would make things extra tight, but probably I just need to find the right size suit.

Do you think it would be possible to zip/unzip it without any aid?

Hi all...I'm moving to Italy and will be getting back into diving. It has been a long time since I started. I will start my experience in the Adriatic Sea. What type and thickness of dive suit/s should I consider?

Anyone have opinions about the best type of dive gear for a beginner?

Thanks

Beni, I've only seen a couple people who could manage doing those zippers without help from someone else and those people were, shall we say, limber.

Personally I don't think the pockets are worth it, but that's just my opinion.

I assumed wearing a layer underneath would make things extra tight, but probably I just need to find the right size suit.

Do you think it would be possible to zip/unzip it without any aid?

I use to zip and unzip my semidry which had the same zipper location. I had a loop on the zipper and put that on the latching knob for my tailgate. Then I'd spin and zip myself in. Opposite direction to get it open, obviously.

Back
Top Bottom