Wet Suit Stupid Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AggieDad

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Ok guys and ladies,
I sitting in beautiful downtown Dubai UAE and am playing with a hooded vest that I bought in Hong Kong. One person told me that you wear it underneath your regular wetsuit (mine is a 3 mm) and the other guy told me to wear it over. I just got off the treadmill also because it is hard to get the fat rolls underneath the hood :11:
Anyway, that is the first question the second is just how cold would any of you dive in the outfit? 3.5 mm total, I am hot natured. Also got to join a dive club in Hong Kong and will be diving over there in Feb/March. One of the few perks of my job. The other is crew meals, you would have to be in the business to understand, part of the reason I wear XXXL.

I would suggest wearing it which ever way feels more comfortable. I get all types of replies when I wear my vest out side of my wet suit but couldn't care less. I'm a bit....um, top heavy and it's the most comfortable way for me... Besides, I didn't notice a difference in being any warmer..
Goodluck

I know several divers who use hooded vests and the split is about 50/50 between the innies and the outies.

I think it mostly depends of the fit of the wet suit and what is most effective in reducing water circulation with your particular suit combiniation

DA Aquamaster:
I know several divers who use hooded vests and the split is about 50/50 between the innies and the outies.

I think it mostly depends of the fit of the wet suit and what is most effective in reducing water circulation with your particular suit combiniation

With you. I personally wore mine on the inside

I think it depends on fit and comfort mostly I reckon.. Try both ways ans see which is better.

As the others have noted, wear them the way they're most comfortable. Depending on your tolerance for cold, the 3.5mm combination is probably good for a temp range of 65-85F (you'll probably be uncomfortable at either end of this range, but it'll work).

Much of the good a wetsuit provides is a function of how well the neck seals. If a poor neck seal lets water into the suit, the performance of the suit is degraded. So If the neck seal of the jumpsuit is not real good, you will probably want to wear the hooded vest on the outside. And if a good neck seal is compromised by putting the hooded vest under the jumpsuit, again you will want to go with the vest over the suit. Otherwise, it is a mater of which is easier and more comfortable.

BTW, that extra .5 mm of neoprene is not going to add much at all to the insulation of your ensamble. Like a .5 mm full suit, the biggest benefit may just be protection from nasties and reduction of direct water flow over the skin body surface. So if it compromises seals, the net result may well be a loss.

I can swim in watetr in the low 70s to high 60s without protection, but when I scuba I want to stay warm with minimal exertion. 3mm is OK for me for mid 70's but when if falls to high 60s to low 70s, I go for the 5mm suit. In contrast, for water over 80, I usually go with .5mm or none.

As has been said, do what works.

But along with what AWAP posted, the purpose of a wetsuit is not only insulation, but reducing water exchange. When you first jump in you heat up a layer of water next to your skin. You don't want fresh cold water flowing through the suit that has to be continually heated. (Please pardon me if you already know this. There may be readers who don't.) Either way you wear the vest you will also have a layer of water between the vest and wetsuit.

With a wetsuit, you have 5 seals that could allow water exchange (neck, two wrists, and two ankles. If you wear the vest over the wetsuit you also have to worry about water exchange at the shoulders and waist. With the vest under the wetsuit those seals aren't a concern.

So, assuming all other factors are equal (like getting a good neck seal either way) I would wear it under.

Thanks for the input. I just about figured that I will try it both ways. I do need to buy a thicker suit for now.

AggieDad:
Thanks for the input. I just about figured that I will try it both ways. I do need to buy a thicker suit for now.

Try it both ways....try it with vest outside first. If you remain comfortable, you may wish to keep it that way. Sometimes during surface intervals one wishes to remove the outer vest so not to overheat, etc. Also a little easier to move about. Now if you get a little chilly (and you have a good neck seal on the jumpsuit) suggest you wear the vest inside.....all things being equal you should have less water movement (exchange) with the vest on the inside, possibly affording you an additional margin of warmth.

Regards,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom