Wet Suit Issue Monterey Checkout Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would say if you plan to do more diving in NorCal, forget about expansive or custom wetsuit. It will never be comfortable. While it maybe tolerable in water, the above water experience is just brutle. If you think otherwise, wait until you do a boat dive.

Aqualung Solfax suit is like $500. A custom wetsuit is likely to be more. A used drysuit can be had for similar or just a little more. you will be warmer and carry less weight compare to a 7+7 farmer john.

So the wet suit that fits well on me is an Aqualung Aquaflex XLS. I'm relaxed now that my last checkout dives will be boat dives at Monterey wearing my own exposure protection. My instructor owns a boat that we will be using at noon on 3/19. It's a private 1 on 1.

So the wet suit that fits well on me is an Aqualung Aquaflex XLS. I'm relaxed now that my last checkout dives will be boat dives at Monterey wearing my own exposure protection. My instructor owns a boat that we will be using at noon on 3/19. It's a private 1 on 1.

Good luck and let us know how it goes for you!

Bluering,

Does your bc have an upper chest strap? Sometimes we tighten things up when we descend and forget to loosen them back up. Anything that interferes with your breathing can cause you to hyperventilate.

Also, one time a buddy of mine had a tight neck seal restricting his jugular. He was essentially slowly being "choked out". I felt bad because I didn't recognize what was happening. I thought he was nervous but would be ok (things loosen up when we descend, right? ). If your brain isn't getting enough oxygen though, your fight or flight response will be triggered - period.

Anyway, my point is, make sure something like the above isn't causing you problems. And my apologies to anyone with a medical background who reads my very non-educated discussion above.

Oh, I'm from Michigan but I've got family there and I have dove Monterey a few times. I feel for you, it can be tough - I got rolled on that harmless looking breakwater beach. So embarrassing. But don't let them tell you that's "cold" water. :)

boat

Well, I had to move the last 2 checkout dives a few more weeks. Still a 1 on 1 training boat dive. I was on a ladder installing speakers in the ceiling for a friends restaurant and the ladder shifted. I slipped down a ways and twisted my ankle.

After all of the delays, i'll be "extremely" motivated to finish my cert. Not sure if I'll need to take a motion sickness pill for the boat. I would probably wear a patch like I did Rockfish fishing in San Francisco many years ago, but that is a prescription and so I'll use over the counter.

@Blueringocto_73 Did you end up getting your own wetsuit? I have the Aqua Lung AquaFlex line in the 3mm, 5mm, and then the SolAfx semi-dry...It's my favorite. :) I will say a more snug wetsuit is probably better than a too loose wetsuit because water comes flooding and flushing in and out. Yikes! Cold!

See if you can request a steel tank next time. You'll be able to drop about 6 pounds to start. It isn't as floaty as an aluminum tank, especially when near empty towards the end of a dive. If you can dive successfully in Monterey, you can dive pretty much anywhere else in the world - warmer water and infinite viz areas! It's a tougher place to be certified so pat yourself on the back. I'm happy to hear that you know your limits and comfort levels and thumbed the dive because of it. Greatness takes time and that self awareness is one of the marks of a good diver.

Couple of points--
My 7 mil farmer john also lets in a bit more cold water occasionally than I'd like--sometimes between hood and suit. But it does the job. As suggested custom made may be the way to go. Or of course drysuit. Cold tolerance is so personal it's almost pointless to discuss.
--weights are a totally different discussion. Depends on the age of the rental suit you had. When I replaced my 10 year old suit I had to add 6 pounds. 27 pounds -- to me-- is not a lot with an AL tank. Everyone is different.
--Don't know what all the shore walking has to do with certification. I would think it is perfectly "legal" to drop every piece of equipment (hopefully not in SAND, the shop would say) and carry it back piece by piece. We didn't have far to walk when I was DMing-- is it a local "requirement" of some kind?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom