Wet Suit Issue Monterey Checkout Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Funny you should mention the flat orientation. When me and one of the 2 DMs did an exploration orientation swim along the bottom I did notice some easier breathing. For about 15 minutes we cruised the bottom and that would have been great if I was there for recreation.

I was the last one holding onto the yellow horizontal line in the upright position when we did the shared air exercise. Seemed like forever waiting with silt stirred up and bubbles everywhere. Kind of disorienting with low visibility.

I knew my turn would come eventually so panic never came to mind. And I waisted no time getting the octo into my mouth and purged with a hard blow.

I am sure That some of the breathing may have been your wetsuit, but do not forget your reg will also breath different according to your orientation. If you are straight up and down doing skills and drills it will breath harder than when you are in proper trim, flat. It will also breath MUCH easier if your head is below your lungs as in going down an incline. Just food for thought.

Funny you should mention the flat orientation. When me and one of the 2 DMs did an exploration orientation swim along the bottom I did notice some easier breathing. For about 15 minutes we cruised the bottom and that would have been great if I was there for recreation.

I was the last one holding onto the yellow horizontal line in the upright position when we did the shared air exercise. Seemed like forever waiting with silt stirred up and bubbles everywhere. Kind of disorienting with low visibility.

I knew my turn would come eventually so panic never came to mind. And I wasted no time getting the octo into my mouth and purged with a hard blow.

Lots of open water classes are taught in that traditional "recreational" upright fashion and it does increase the work of breathing on a reg. But they also could not teach you the awesome (sarcasm) golden triangle if you were in the correct position, because the "triangle" vanishes. More and more of your better instructors teach in what is called "neutral" fashion, which means you are in proper horizontal position through out the class. @NetDoc is a huge proponent of this fashion.

So the Aqualung Aquaflex Wet Suit in 7mm has been recommended to me. I tried on a LG and while stretching nicely it is really tight on the arms and neck. When I said that I would like to try an XL I was being vigorously sold on the LG.

Just don't want to be in a too tight wet suit for my Monterey dives. Is it really that hard to find a suit that I like? I'm OK with not using a semi-dry as long as I'm reasonably warm in a wet suit for Monterey.

And another question. Is it absolutely a "requirement" for cert. to do a second surf exit for the day that requires walking all the way up the beach with gear on? If I was already certified I might choose to have a long surface interval of about 2+ hours before the 2nd dive and take my BC off shortly after exiting the water while recovering my stamina. Why is it necessary to strain myself?

Last edited:
I have never heard of being required to walk up twice for certification. But one needs to get themselves and their gear far enough from the surf so a rogue wave does not take them or their gear back into the ocean.

Reality. The first person out dumps their weight belt and BC/tank far enough up the beach so the surf will not take it. Keeps their mask/snorkel around their neck and fins handy in case they have to jump back in to assist. Assists their buddies with whatever they need as they are getting out of the surf. But many also just slowly hike all the way back to their vehicle with all their gear on. The best shore diving in Northern California is hiking cliff trails for the best dive spots.

I only do multiple dives in a day if boat diving or with a group that wants to go a second time.

My surface interval is normally a week or more unless camping or an event.

Please discuss your concerns with your instructor. They will make any adjustments and recommendations for a safe and enjoyable experience.

Last edited:
I check out many shops for wetsuits and try them on. Find something I like then I ask when will their next sale be. Many times they drop their price so I do not have to wait for the sale. I sometimes even get a discount for using debit over credit when I asked.

My Xcel Polar 9/7/6mm Semi-dry comes in many sizes. I have large shoulders from swimming and longer torso/shorter legs than average to get 6'. So they had something to fit me.

The Freedive Shop will sell me a XXL bottom and a XXXL top for a freedive wetsuit. Their suits are actually in cm I think so 56/58 maybe.

Other shops should do the same to get you into a comfortable proper fitting suit. AWS did it for my wife. Her top, bottom and vest are different sizes. Dolphin should also. Check out a few shops and try on wetsuits. Take your time.

Good Luck!

Re: shore dive strain

Cert dives are certainly a lot of work and very tiring, especially as everything is new and may take more effort. I hope that you find future shore dives easier, as you ease into things. However, for us NorCal divers, between the thick suits & lead, shore diving necessarily involves some work.

You are pretty good on weight - 27 lbs (if I recall my OW cert I had to lug 36 lbs!!!), but you may be able to drop several pounds as you gain experience. That may help

However, note that if you plan to do shore dives in Monterey area, you will need to get your gear up and down the beach. Most shore sites are comparable to San Carlos in terms of strain to get to diving, with the noted exception of Point Lobos, where you have essentially "rock star parking."

I know some divers that only do boat dives because they find shore dives strenuous. I also have seen divers using some sort of wagon to carry their gear to the beach, and then gear up there. And, as you note, there is also the option of only doing 1 dive, or taking a long break.

Good luck!

So the Aqualung Aquaflex Wet Suit in 7mm has been recommended to me. I tried on a LG and while stretching nicely it is really tight on the arms and neck. When I said that I would like to try an XL I was being vigorously sold on the LG.
Just don't want to be in a too tight wet suit for my Monterey dives. Is it really that hard to find a suit that I like? I'm OK with not using a semi-dry as long as I'm reasonably warm in a wet suit for Monterey.
Also try the Aqualung SolaFx semi-dry. It's not that much more expensive than the one you're looking it and works really well for Monterey. I noticed that the neoprene is super soft and stretchy on it and was much more comfortable in the chest and neck area due to that. It's a pain to get on and off but you can wear a lycra skin underneath that will help a lot.

And another question. Is it absolutely a "requirement" for cert. to do a second surf exit for the day that requires walking all the way up the beach with gear on?
Are you being asked to do 2 exits on the same dive? Or is this the 2nd dive? It's really common to walk all the way back to your car or lawn or at least to the steps on every dive. Breakwater is one of the easiest exits there is around here. As suggested, you can drop your weights in the sand once you're past the water line to make it a little easier. Alternatively, you can also get one of the Husky X-Horse tables from Home Depot and use those for staging - this will probably save you a 30ft or so walk to the steps, at the very least and even more if you walk to the Metridium Fields entry. I would recommend getting one anyway as it makes gearing up super easy on the grass or near your car and you don't have to depend on an empty spot on the benches.

I was in the same boat as you with being exhausted after a dive. Honestly, the walk down to the water at the beginning of the dive also tired me out. And I'm half your age. I specifically took up strength training for this and highly recommend it if you're not doing this already (think squats and deadlifts). Obviously, you don't need to go for bodybuilding level of weights but even a light but regular regimen will make a world of difference.

My wife has that aqualung suit and has the same complaint about the arms being too tight and her wrists and forearms are thin. Plus one for Xcel I use the 8/7/6 shoulder zip with hood attached and for me with it is the most comfortable suit I've had. Once you get through the class you can dive however you want but you have two dives left to finish power through. Also shore diving is not for everyone but it does get easier the more you do it.

Last edited:
So we are not informed that we can drop weights on the second dive of the day. It's assumed that you can do 2 surf exits up to the steps fully weighted. I realize that the training for Monterey cert. is among the more difficult to attain.

But I don't understand the necessity to strain and be uncomfortable when I could enjoy shore dives at Breakwater doing them with more time and relaxed exits. Endurance is important but straining for no reason.

I would also like to say congrats on thumbing the dives. It isn't easy to do that when you are so excited to get in the water.

I have never dove in NorCal but down here I just recently purchased a Bare Reflective 7 mil wetsuit and it is incredibly warm. I know instructors here that wear them and have said it is as close to drysuit warmth as you can get.

I did a 25 minute dive in 55 degree water and never felt cold nor chilly.

Getting your own wetsuit will be a huge help to you as rentals suck and come in many different conditions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom