Wet Suit for Monterey?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm going to be doing all my diving for the next year down in Monterey, CA. I'm looking for wet suit recommendations. I'd like to get a one-piece with hood, but my budget is about $250. Does anyone have any suggestions?

The 7mm farmerjohn seems to be the most common. Full suits with hooded vests run a close second however.

It would be hard to get a one piece for under $350 unless on closeout or last years model. You will need a minimum of 8mm across the chest for a one piece. I have an Xcel Polar 9/7/6, 9mm across chest. Comfortable down to 46F. Fit is most important, so try suits on without the thought of price first. Find the one that you like the best and than haggle for the best price. I asked the shop after deciding which one I wanted and they said come back when they get their new stock in for $100 off old model. Look online to get an idea of prices.

To save money on a wetsuit means buy a drysuit to start. Most everyone who dives Monterey for more than one dive per day, uses a drysuit. Either that or they are really hot blooded. Water temp results are coming back at 45-48 degree right now.

One just popped up on here which was a pretty good deal but it looks like it sold. Keep your eye open for something similar. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ge...ds/279265-fs-whites-catalyst-drysuit-bag.html

I personally don't think drysuits are the end all solution for diving cold water. Many people can get 2 - 4 dives in a day in wetsuits no problem. Drysuits are not the most economical way to go. There's considerable additional costs involved like undergarments, seal replacements, zipper replacements, missed dives because of issues. The only time I would recommend a drysuit is if someone absolutely can't take the cold and a wetsuit simply is not an option. But most people can easily make a wetsuit work.
I have both a drysuit and wetsuits. I prefer my wetsuits. I love the feel of ocean water on my body. It makes me feel invigorated and refreshed.

I really like my AquaLung SolaFX wetsuit - 7/8mm with integrated hood. It is semi-dry having ankle, wrist and neck seals. I don't image it will fit your budget but maybe. At the time, my LDS wasn't doing me any favors on pricing.

I believe I saw the SolaFX in stock at Bamboo Reef dive shop in Monterey.

Richard

I personally don't think drysuits are the end all solution for diving cold water. -----I have both a drysuit and wetsuits. I prefer my wetsuits. I love the feel of ocean water on my body. It makes me feel invigorated and refreshed.

Could not agree more. I'm in the water to get wet. I prefer my 7mm hood attached neoprene two Farmer John custom for Monterey, North Coast, and So.Cal diving.

I do have a 4mm neoprene drysuit. I use it sometimes just to make sure I can still dive dry.

Wow, so many great opinions here!

I don't think a drysuit is in my budget right now. Next year, yes. But right now for the half-dozen dives I'll probably do, a thicker wetsuit would be more suited for me. When I did my certification dives, I was wearing a farmer john and I was pretty warm. My only issue with farmer johns is that , for me, it was a little uncomfortable.

I'll see if I can wait another month and up my budget to around $400. Would that let me get something decent?

I personally don't think drysuits are the end all solution for diving cold water. Many people can get 2 - 4 dives in a day in wetsuits no problem. Drysuits are not the most economical way to go. There's considerable additional costs involved like undergarments, seal replacements, zipper replacements, missed dives because of issues. The only time I would recommend a drysuit is if someone absolutely can't take the cold and a wetsuit simply is not an option. But most people can easily make a wetsuit work.
I have both a drysuit and wetsuits. I prefer my wetsuits. I love the feel of ocean water on my body. It makes me feel invigorated and refreshed.

What Eric failed to mention is he is using a custom made M&B wetsuit which is top of the line. My other two friends have the same setup and they got cold after a couple of dives at Lobos with the first one being fairly deep. I was toasty warm in my drysuit.

Otter Bay in Monterey is a premier wetsuit manufacturer also. They make the best hoods. Contact them to see what they have to offer http://www.otterbaysuits.com/wetsuits.cfm Off the self wetsuits are much more cost effective, but even still run around $400 for a decent one. Used might be your best bet for around the $200 mark. Then upgrade to a drysuit or a custom wetsuit.

I don't think a drysuit is in my budget right now. Next year, yes. But right now for the half-dozen dives I'll probably do, a thicker wetsuit would be more suited for me.

If you really think you are going to dive only a half dozen days, why not rent? It will cost you around $20-30 to rent a suit and hood. Or spend $50 to purchase a hooded vest and rent the rest. With renting you get to try different gear to see what works for you.

I rented for my first year in Monterey. Now I dive me buddy's suit and let him rent (on my dime) because his suit fits me better. :) But I liked the NeoSport hooded vest I was renting; I bought one to be sure I had it when I went diving in San Diego or was renting from a different shop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom