wet suit cleaning solutions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rooster1

Reaction score
anyone here have any good home brew solutions for washing and taking the smell out of your wetsuit and booties??:)

I usually use Sink the Stink but when I'm out of that I'll use Listerine™. If all else fails, I'll use an anti-bacterial soap like Dial™ and rinse it well.

Febreeze and Woolite. I let mine soak for about an hour, and then wash it on the gentle cycle. I even put my wetsuits in the dryer! :eek: :eek: :eek: :)

I had the same problem. Vinegar was the cure. The hard part was getting the vinegar smell out! LOL! However after the vinegar, my febreeze and woolite mixture worked well.

I've salvaged fabrics that've been soaking in a grungy river for a week & vinegar was the trick too.
1 gallon per load of wash water, or soak small items overnight in straight white vinegar.
Never had a problem getting the vinegar smell out, but I'm the kind of guy that uses diesel oil for aftershave.
:mean:

Aftershave? What is a shave?

The best thing to do is to rinse (wash) the suit and booties as soon as possible and dry them quickly. I use a boot drier that blows air into the toe of the boots with them hanging toe up so water drains out and the air flow drys them in a few hours.

The only time I have a suit smell problem is when I can't do this the evening after a dive.

You would not believe the soup I usually dive into. Well Bob3 would. :D

Hey, that ain't the proper word to use; I'm a soup fan & that's a degradation to the word.:wink:

I have a PVC suit stand that breaks down, an old hair dryer (hose & hood type) blows warm air down into the boots, exiting neck & wrists.
Hotel rooms started looking strange after a while, especially when inflated suits were standing around for leak tests. Scared the crap outta housekeeping a couple of times. :mean:

As far as shaving goes, I don't get pestered by the ladies to shave my beard anymore. (diesel oil trick worked, by golly)

Some of the job sites have been more like stew than soup. Lots of chewy stuff in the water.

Most of the time it is LOTS of sand, silt and a moderate amount of living critters.

Visibility? We don't need no stinking visibility. We don't got no stinking visibility!

Back
Top Bottom