Wet gloves, Dry suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jar546

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
There are times when I simply need more dexterity and choose not to use the dry gloves. I use a set of Aqua Lung 5mm which are great with a wetsuit but not for a drysuit as the wrist seals and ring gets in the way of the velcro wrist strap of the glove. In addition, the gloves are not very warm.

Does anyone have any experience with gloves that are not so long back towards the wrist and don't have any wrist straps. They need to be compatible with the drysuit without bunching up at the wrist. Most importantly I am looking for something warm.

This weekend another diver I met told me he as thrilled with his Henderson Insta-Dry gloves (5mm) but he actually had to use KY Jelly to get them on. He too was diving dry.

I looked at the Henderson H2 and the Insta-Dry but don't know if other divers have better opinions resulting from direct experience.

Pinnacle Merino Lined gloves w/drysuit. Hands warm down to freezing water conditions for up to about an hour or so.

I used Insta-Dry until they wore off :) Hard to find them nowadays as material is discontinued.

However I now use EDGE 5mm with my drysuit and they are warm and nice. They do have the velcro thingies but I don't have an issue with it and my drysuit myself.

Edge 5MM Neoprene Gloves @ Divers-Supply.com

4th element 5mm gloves. This Saturday will be my first time using them, for my drysuit class. Not much of a review, but ill let you know how they do.

I use Viking Bayonet drygloves (orange gloves: double-dipped PVC Atlas 620) with appropriate liners on all of my drysuit dives now.
I place a priority on dexterity because I have to operate tiny buttons on my UW camera housing.
I have yet to find any 5mm wetsuit gloves that afford more dexterity than my dryglove setup.
In fact, I'd have to say that my drygloves give me about the same level of dexterity as 3mm wetsuit gloves.

I've found that it does matter which Atlas gloves one uses. The blue Atlas 660s (triple-dipped PVC) are a lot stiffer than the orange 620s.

I use Viking Bayonet drygloves with appropriate liners on all of my drysuit dives now.
I place a priority on dexterity because I have to operate tiny buttons on my UW camera housing.
I have yet to find any 5mm wetsuit gloves that afford more dexterity than my dryglove setup.
In fact, I'd have to say that my drygloves give me about the same level of dexterity as 3mm wetsuit gloves.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong...

That is rather impressive. Not sure I can incorporate them into my Zip seals.

I, too, find that dry gloves with liners give me all of the dexterity that I need to operate my camera. True, they feel pretty clumsy at the start of the dive. But by the end of the dive I can hardly tell that I'm wearing gloves. I think it just takes some practice to get used to them.

If you still insiste on wet gloves, look into some of the neoprene gloves offered by NRS.

Back
Top Bottom