Wet gear and overweight charges

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes sir, I've flown this way on both Continental and now United. I also tote a small 13# pony bottle with me. Honestly I can't keep up with the airline regs regarding whether it has to be in carry-on or checked, but I've never had a problem either way. From the sounds of things I guess I've just been lucky.
It's nice to hear first hand success stories. :thumb:

Are you selling notarized copies of that letter...??

I would like a copy of that letter also. I am flying united in a bout 6 weeks and I just started using a wing with a stainless steel BP and my gear is pretty heavy now. I was worried about how much the extra baggage charge would be.

Maybe you could scan it and post it.

Can you just highlight and print the letter in post 36? Or send me a pm and I will send it to you in an email

I wonder whether "equipment used in the scuba-diving sport" would include a camera housing and accessories. After all, I certainly do not use it except in the "scuba-diving sport".

I wonder whether "equipment used in the scuba-diving sport" would include a camera housing and accessories. After all, I certainly do not use it except in the "scuba-diving sport".

Good point. I have quite a bit of camera gear that I take with me. I usually carry it on as my bag that goes under my feet.It just barely fits. I probably will still do that.

Good point. I have quite a bit of camera gear that I take with me. I usually carry it on as my bag that goes under my feet.It just barely fits. I probably will still do that.
I'd love to be able to do that. My housing, two ports, two strobes, arms, and chargers weighs 65 lbs in a Storm case (the case weighs 22 lbs). On the other hand, I can easily fit my dive gear and light clothing into a 50 lb bag.

Can you just highlight and print the letter in post 36? Or send me a pm and I will send it to you in an email
Highlight and print would look like anyone typed it. I sent a PM - thanks!

Well, I took the letter with methat jbjclj sent to me, but didn't really need it. I mentioned that the bag was overweight to the United check in lady but should not be charged because of their policies and that I had the policy along with a letter from them. She would not even look at my documents and at first gave me a bit of a hard time about it but then looked up the policy on their computer, checked my bag to make sure it was all scuba gear, then tagged it as "heavy" and didn't charge me. No problems on the return trip from Cozumel, I simply told them it was all SCUBA gear and they put it right through.

Back
Top Bottom