Wet/Drysuit Pockets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kidspot

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just finished attaching pockets to my new drysuit, and after making a few changes from my last pocket design I am VERY happy with these new ones.

Details can be found here with high res images Aloha Shore Divers

pocket1_thumb.jpg

One main difference in these was the added "Stress panel" which is glued to the suit while the pocket is stitched to it.

pocket2_thumb.jpg

The corners on the stress panel are rounded to prevent peeling away from the dive suit.

pocket3_thumb.jpg

I used 1.5" velcro to keep the gussets folded flat when the pocket is empty. The bungee loop will threaded thru the button holes and tied on the inside to help prevent it from "flopping" out as my current one does.

pocket4_thumb.jpg

pocket5_thumb.jpg

pocket6_thumb.jpg

pocket7_thumb.jpg

pocket8_thumb.jpg

pocket9_thumb.jpg

Aloha, Tim

Wow, that's really nice! I'll make a note of this one. :wink:

Thanks for the post

I'm looking for some ready-made pockets at the moment, I like the DSS one but seem a little expensive at $90

Any thoughts on adhering cordura pockets to neoprene? Or better to use neoprene to neoprene?

Thanks for the post

I'm looking for some ready-made pockets at the moment, I like the DSS one but seem a little expensive at $90

Any thoughts on adhering cordura pockets to neoprene? Or better to use neoprene to neoprene?

As long as you saturate both surfaces with the right kind of glue, it should be ok. I haven't glued neoprene suits myself...

The DUI Bellows pocket is made of cordura, has a D-ring, good velcro, neoprene backing, and a nice, stiff flap that is easy to operate, even with thick gloves. The neoprene backing should make the choice of glue easier, and at $70 RRP, I think it's a great choice. :)

I've put pockets on a number of neoprene suits, so a couple of thoughts after my current project.

The "stress panel" is a must in my opinion - I can already see how much sturdier the pocket is on the suit compared to suits I glued pockets on without it.

I've stitched my previous pockets on my wetsuits without much issue, however they do tend to tear at the corners due to the stress at those spots. While the Cordura would glue to the neoprene without problem it will not stretch like neoprene does - so I'd recommend getting some neoprene, sewing the pocket onto a piece that is an inch larger on every side and then gluing that neoprene patch onto the wetsuit/drysuit. If you are going to glue a non-stretch material onto a wetsuit I would put a couple of small "pleats" into the pocket to allow for some stretch - I did this on one of my earlier pockets and it did work, but it didn't look as nice.

I may be willing to make some more to offer here on SB, drop me a PM if you'd be interested (just have to get more material).

btw - here are a few more pics I just took with them on the suit.

pocket10_thumb.jpg

pocket11_thumb.jpg

pocket12_thumb.jpg

Aloha, Tim

Very nice project Tim. Thanks for sharing.

I'm looking for some ready-made pockets at the moment ...

Well, I had this idea; The XS Scuba pocket shorts:

XS Scuba Highland Neoprene Pocket Shorts - Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL

seems to have some nice pockets. Haven't seen them in person. But if they're the quality they seem to be, then one could cut them up leaving a nice piece of neoprene backing for glueing on to a suit. That would of course depend on how the shorts themselves are stitched - if there is enough stitch-free material around the pockets for an inch or two of edging.

That'd also bring the price down to $50 per pocket :)

I was actually considering trying that on my Fusion suit.

Henrik

If you decide to put them on your fusion there is a good idea here: The Dive Matrix Forums - View Single Post - fusion p-valve scroll down past the p-valve photos.

He put a 2" stip of aquaseal on the inside of the outer shell behind the pocket so it wouldn't sag so much - kind of grips against the inner shell.

Aloha, Tim

If you decide to put them on your fusion there is a good idea here:

Thanks Tim. That's a great post. And perfectly timed - I just ordered a Halcyon P-valve :)

I'm happy to see that he had good luck with the pocket installation as well. I have the LE skin on my Fusion, and the neoprene of the skin actually seems to "stick" better to the dry-core than the other skins, so Aqua Seal may not be necessary, but we'll see.

*If* I put on different pockets I think I'll just glue them. I glued a pocket to my 3 mil wetsuit with fairly good result. I figure I can use the same technique on the Fusion skin: put on the suit and outline where the pockets should go with chalk, and then stretch the skin for the outline to fit the pockets for glueing.

Thanks again,

Henrik

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom