Wet Breathing Hog D1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RhodeDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I have a Hog D1 regulator and when I go upside down it breaths really wet. Is this normal for this regulator?

yes. nature of the beast with any second stage of this style design.

What happens is when you go upside-down the exhaust valve is allowed to open from the positive pressure created by the air space. This opens the exhaust valve a bit allowing water to come in. No way to avoid it.

Well, it depends on what you mean by "really wet". Had you just said "wet" I would have agreed. A little water will get past the exhaust valve each time you exhale. When you are positioned normally, this water is expelled before it ever reaches your airway. When you are upside down, it does not get expelled and eventually builds up enough to get in your airway resulting in wet breathing. But the difference between a defect and the nature of the beast lies in how much water and how quickly. My similar 2nds also breath wet when upside down, but it takes 15 +/- seconds to become noticeable and it is not enough to force me to right myself to breath.

By "really wet" I mean a mouthful of water and I have to flip back over to breath.

how old are they? they may have the original housings which will allow more water in than the new housings. If they are the originals, call Jack, they have new housings for them

Your exhaust valve may be starting to lose it's seal, or you may have something caught between the plastic and the rubber valve. From a diagram it looks like my Apeks.

I picked it up new last year. How can I tell if they are the old housings? In the mean time I will just not be going upside down.

Remove the cover and look under the diaphragm at the openings in the housing. If they are shaped like a 4-leaf clover, it's the old style housing. If it's a grid pattern, it's the new one.

iPhone. iTypo. iApologize.

OP, Did you get this resolved ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom